ideal mini c28 frost protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just moved house and the boiler is sighted in the garage without any frost protection, can you advise me which way to wire it, ideal say use a drayton pts1 pipe stat without any air temp stat

need help before the winter sets in up the north east

Sponsored Links
I've been told, read etc that the correct way to apply frost protection to a boiler in an unheated space (you garage) is throuigh the use of a 2-stage frost kit, this consists of a wall mounted frost thermostat linked to a a hi - limit pipe stat. Honeywell do a kit and they are preetty simple to wire up and about £45.

Dont bother to do that!

Just read the instruction book and you will read that the boiler has built in frost protection !!!

Total cost, £ ten minutes reading !

Tony

Hmmmmwelll. The boiler will look after itself but that doesn't mean it will necessarily look after all the water pipes in the garage.
If you box them in together and put a pipe thermostat on the boiler return set to a few degrees C, even 10, it'll protect the lot.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Dont bother to do that!

Just read the instruction book and you will read that the boiler has built in frost protection !!!

Total cost, £ ten minutes reading !

Tony

dont bother relying on this alone (sorry tony first time for ages i have disagreed wif you, please forgive and dont visit me with you rightgeous anger ;) ), chrisr is right, any way a frost stat cost 15 and a pipe stat cost the same, you cannae have too much

I dont know what the book says Spanner, but I do know that the boiler DOES have built in frost protection*! Even if its not mentioned in the book.

The C28 is the original non condensing boiler, then there was the hybrid band B and now the premix band A.

At about 6 C it runs the pump ( which will protect the pipework ) and if its gets a little lower brings on the burner.

Tony

*PS There was even someone here who had a fault whereby the frost protection was activating when not expected but he became abusive so I stopped helping him!

I'm having a Softus Moment.
icon_yikes.gif

Tony said:
Just read the instruction book and you will read that....
Tony then said:
I dont know what the book says
lolsign.gif

And then said:
At about 6 C it runs the pump ( which will protect the pipework )

5C
But the pipework on the way into the garage could be a lot colder than 5C.

And running the pump won't protect the domestic water pipes in or out.
You have to FIRE the boiler, AND box the pipes together.

So you need a frost stat or two

Funny, that's what it says in the book!

do boilers with inbuilt frost protection switch on when the water is 5degrees or when air temp is 5 degrees?

Spanner - I think you only need a pipe stat. Put it on the heating return. Coldest/most exposed part if there is one, though I repeat, you need to box the pipes together so the ch pipes protect the cold pipe going into the boiler and the tap water out.
The wiring is on the manual, which is on the web site.
http://www.idealboilers.com/

bster- think they all use one of the existing temperature sensors, deep in the boiler so pipes could be colder, especially in a draught.

spanner134 said:
if you look it does not have frost protection
cost £700 for a new boiler

I dont have time to check what it says in the book. As I know that this unit does have protection then I dont need to read it.

However, as the book does mention the frost protection then I wonder why Spanner concluded that his boiler did not have it?

Tony

However, as the book does mention the frost protection then I wonder why Spanner concluded that his boiler did not have it?

It could be because it does NOT mention the frost protection, until you get to the status lights ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back