W/M faulty or dodgy wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did 2 loads of washing, both were set on a 40 mixed fabric cycle & the machine did both loads fine but when I tried to remove the plug from the socket it was stuck solid in the socket, so I killed the sockets & after a lot of tugging & swearing I managed to get it out & I noticed that the black plastic around the bottom of the neutral pin had melted & the plastic round the pin was a browny colour. I then looked at the socket & plastic around hole where the neutral fits was mis-shaped & not straight like the other holes. I then tried to open up the plug to have a look & it was glued together but I managed to open it with brute force & the neutral wire was black & the plug had melted into the plastic around the wire.

Is the w/m at fault or the socket?
If it`s the socket thats faulty then am I safe using the other socket next to it?

Don`t know if it`s worth mentioning but whenever a bulb blows in my bathroom it knocks the main switch off.

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you are using an ordinary 13Amp plug, with an ordinary 13Amp fuse in it, then what has probably happened is that the black "Neutral" wire was not tightly secured into the pin terminal. This loose connection has overheated. The hotter it got the looser it got, and the wire will have started to burn away. Eventually it got so hot that it caused the damage you describe.

Cut back the flex beyond the heat damaged part, and affix a new plug.

Examine the socket because this may also have been damaged by the heat and need replacing.

BTW if you are using a double socket, it should not have two heavy-load appliances running off it (like a washing machine and a tumble drier) as this can cause the socket to overheat.

Thanks & yes it`s a normal plug because I had to remove the molded plug due to the earth pin getting damaged by the halfwit tosser & his mate that moved the machine for me & its the same idiot that fitted the new plug. I think his name was Frank Spencer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back