alpha boiler lock out - air in expansion tank??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hellol

any help/ideas appreciated

i will use the 'read this first' to try and give right info

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil) Alpha CB28 gas

2) What is / is not happening - put hot water on and boilder lights after about 10-15 secs makes shuddering noise and pressure gauge shoots up about green area then dorps and system locks out ( red light on)

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently - radiator removed about 3 weeks ago havent had heating on for 3-4 months

4) When did it (problem) start -last night for kids bathtime
5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off - HW on

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance - alpha boilers said its air in expansion tank and to re-pressure to 0.8 - i cant find valve to use to attach pump - taken front off but not obvious

7) Please also be patient for a reply, no one gets paid to reply on these forums, and like you, our "pros" have a daytime job to do.

Any help appreciated - kids will start to smell soon

thanks Matt

Sponsored Links
cheers 4 speedy reply - kids at school so pump nicked

i cant find where to attach the pump -ive had the front off but cant see anything that looks like the pump will attach??

can you ( or any one) give me procedure for draining and then refilling boiler

cheers matt

Have you been getting hotwater O.K for 3 weeks?

Sounds to me like the pump is seized if it happens after after 15 seconds.Either that or you have no water in the system. Have you topped it up. Check pressure guage

If the expansion vessel is flat then the pressure will start to rise as the system gets hot eventually causing the blowoff pipe outside to spit out water.
Then when it all cools down the pressure will be to low and the boiler will lockout.
By the way if you are checking the expansion vessel please ensure that you open a drain point and wait until the water stops.Then connect you pump to the shrader valve on the expansion vessel, but note the drain point MUST be open when you pump up the vessel or you will get a false reading.
By the way only put about 10-15 psi in the vessel

Sponsored Links
The pressure point on the vessel is usually over the top back of the boiler so I hope you can get to it. The expansion vessel is usually a big red thing behind the boiler against the wall.

pannierstan said:
The pressure point on the vessel is usually over the top back of the boiler so I hope you can get to it. The expansion vessel is usually a big red thing behind the boiler against the wall.

Id call is a soft poppy red personnally. But we get the jist!

Well it could be orange like on the delightful old Chaff Celtic, or possible Grey like the Vaillant Sine 18.

Or was that tangerine and gun metal

:LOL:

what an excellent bunch of fellas - cheers

hve found the valve and will have a go tonight

appreciate it

matt

found the valve its a glorious gunner red. it stands proud like arsenal. any ideas what the chelsea drain valve looks like? is there a bung i have to remove first and will dirty waste water pour out ?

:D

cheers matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back