HELP - Clueless Girl needs Baxi Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need advice! Just moved into new house with the most hideous baxi fire. Cant afford to get combi boiler yet (apparently thats what I should have!) so is there anywhere i can get a modern fire for this contraption? Stepdad tells me cos installed before 1980 I wont get anything decent. Please say its not true!!! Thanks :)

your tiltle has been edited, please note forum rule 5

Sponsored Links
It'll probably be true - hard to say when you give no details ;). None of the firefronts are modern, and they're all expensive.
If it's that old you'll probably get nothing, period.

Who says you should have a combi?

Just remember this post when you get round to changing your boiler. A combi is not always the best.

Also remember this post!

7m households have combis in the UK. A modern Vaillant and Viessmann combi is near-identical to their conventional boilers, so most reliability concerns are based on old prejudices.

It is my contention that in the right application, a suitable water supply, and professionally installed, a combi will be a cost effective reliable performer.

Choose your installer carefully when the time comes and they should ask what you want out of your heating/hot water system and give you unbiased advice.

Most back boilers are Baxis (although there are Halsteads, Ideals etc out there) and if yours is early 1980s then new replacement firefronts are no longer available. The BB design was later changed and there are firefronts available for the newer model. Personally I'd save my money and junk it all at the appropriate time.

Sponsored Links
simond said:
A modern Vaillant and Viessmann combi is near-identical to their conventional boilers, so most reliability concerns are based on old prejudices.
But combi diverter valves are their achilles heal, especially for Vaillant. System boilers would have an external diverter (mid position or zone valves) but they are more accessible and easier to repair or replace.

thought vaillant (hepworth) had finally sorted out the o ring prob on their POS diverters??

A replacement fire front for a current back boiler is around £1000 plus fitting at say £100.

You can buy a lot of combi boiler for £1000. You could in fact get two and a half Heatlines or one Vaillant or Viessman.

Tony

The reason I used the Viessmann as an example of a combi that was almost identical to a system boiler was that they use the SAME valve inside for combis and system boilers.

In Germany, Vaillant and Bosch also do this, but they take them out of their system boilers destined for the UK market because they think installers would struggle to understand the principle....! You can buy a diverter valve kit for some Worcester system boilers and put it back to the original design.

Therefore the only difference on emergent and current top brand products is the hw heat exchanger, combi has one, system boiler does not.

Before long the Brits and the Italians will catch up. We will benefit from smaller parts roster and simpler training.

What would you do with 2.5 Heatlines? Keep one in a box for a spare (could be a good idea)?

You can buy a lot of combi boiler for £1000

you Laaaardaaaan lads,
Jesus we can get 2 boilers for that where I am all high btu Boss ones an AAs + £200 in the friday afto slush fund ! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back