Worcester 240 Combi Boiler Installed 1992 New.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems with the burner going out. I have just fitted a new thermocouple, which I was told by someone else that this was the problem but the flame keeps going out.

I can light the pilot using the red bigniter button and holding the knurled grey knob in but once there the flames die after only about 1 miunte, just before they do the knurled knob pops out about 3mm.

Sponsored Links
the TC connections on gas valve correct, pushed all the way home, might be worth checking?

does the pilot light go out even if you don't use the boiler?

If I dont use the boiler the pilot light stays lit but if I use it then after about 2 mins it goes out, it also changes from a blue flame to a yellow flame in the viewing screen.

Sponsored Links
i would suggest when the main burner is ignited that the draught caused by the main flame draws the pilot flame away from the thermocouple thus cooling it.
try repositioning the thermocouple.

Sounds like you have a serious problem. A yellow flame means its burning wrong, it should be nice and blue. Turn it off as a yellow flame means you have the potential for producing CO (carbon monoxide) the silent killer. I'm not trying to give you a fright but its the best advice for tonight. When was it serviced last if over a year get it checked, don't open the casing yourself because if you don't put it back right you could leak POC's (products of combustion) back into the room.
Please get it checked by an approved boiler engineer and check he has a corgi ticket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back