Roof pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
How do I work out the pitch of my roof as I want to tile my mono pitched roof but not sure of the pitch.

PS does any one know any good books/websites on roof construction

V

Sponsored Links
look at the side of a lean-to roof. you basically have a right angle triangle.
a vertical, horizontal and diagonal.

you will need a scientific calculator.

divide the vertical measurement by the horizontal then press, inv. tan. on the calculator and this will give the roof pitch in degrees.

the roof pitch is the angle created by the horizontal and diagonal.

failing that the good old method of a piece of paper against the wall and drawing the pitch onto that and getting a protractor to work , a roofer would have a roofing bevel that shows you the angle in degrees on the inside edge

blister said:
failing that the good old method of a piece of paper against the wall and drawing the pitch onto that and getting a protractor to work , a roofer would have a roofing bevel that shows you the angle in degrees on the inside edge

following on from blister. draw a vertical pencil mark on the barge board on the gable end of a roof. using an adjustable bevel, set it to the mark. you can then transfer this angle to any decent chop saw and simply read off the saw bench guide, the degree of cut.

Sponsored Links
An inclinometer or level with an adjustable bubble will cost about £5, which is nothing in terms of the cost of materials for this job and the time in trying to work it out by other methods

you can buy an angle finder these days witha magnetic base ideal for disadeck systems etc or just plain old traditional roofing, they are around £5 protractor? pencil? paper? all well and good if your boss sends you out to measure a job on friday afternoon and you forget your kit but come on, these ways should be a thing of the past! LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back