How can I add inhibitor to my sealed CH system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

My CH system consists of a Worcseter 240RSF combi boiler, Myson Premier Roundtop rads and Honeywell TRVs, all connected with standard 15mm/22mm copper pipe, installed in about 1994.

After doing some work on the system (new expansion vessel and an extra rad), I want to add some inhibitor.

I've got a litre of Sentinel X100 and one of those squeezy-bulb-pump things that are designed to inject the stuff into the system.

But here's the problem... all of my rads have an "integral air vent" (as Myson call them) which can't be removed to insert the pipe from the pump. So I'm stuck :cry:

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers,
Nick.

Sponsored Links
If you're really a dentist, get your largest syringe and squirt it in through an air bleed point. Doesn't take too long through a phlebotomy needle, or remove the needle and see if the syringe end will fit the rad with some ptfe tape perhaps.
I fink it would take a long time via those anaesthetic jobbies!

Thanks Chris!

The largest syringes we use at work are a mere 2.2mL, so it would take about 450 syringe loads to do the lot :eek:

The diameter of the threaded "plug" in the air vents is just 1/8" or so, but I think your idea of "botching" it with PTFE tape (or maybe some putty?) might be the way ahead.

Maybe next time, I should buy the concentrate in a cartridge instead, as it seems to have a thin nozzle pre-attached :idea:

All the best and thanks for your reply,

Nick.

when i installed my combi i installed a tee on the return with a gate valve and stop end attached, so when i add inhibitor i drain the system a tad (the tee is near the high point of system) and remove cap end open gate valve then attache my home made filling apperatus and pour in the inhibitor.

you may be able to drain the system (if you know it is water) and adding the inhibitor through the filliing loop connection on the return pipe.

Sponsored Links
I need some advice on dentistry and specifically my LL6. What forum can you recommend where dentists can help?

This new rad you fitted, what is the format of the air bleed screw?

Tony

Thanks everyone, sorted now.

The system was already drained down. I removed one of the air bleed screws, butted the pump's tubing upto the hole, then sealed it with a big ball of Plumbers' Mait. Not pretty but it worked. And I didn't get any of the PM into the rad either!:cool:

After refilling and and bleeding, the boiler's burner wouldn't fire up :cry:

Luckily, it was only the thermal cutout that had popped out - that will teach me to be more careful about switching off the boiler before doing work on the system :oops:

Agile said:
This new rad you fitted, what is the format of the air bleed screw?
Unfortunately, it's exactly the same - except on the back rather than on the side, so pretty unaccessible (Rad was Wickes own brand, chosen because it looks identical to the original Mysons).

Agile said:
I need some advice on dentistry and specifically my LL6. What forum can you recommend where dentists can help?
Tony, I'll be in touch ;)
Nick

What about those things my dentist squirts the alginate into my beard with :evil:? They look as though they could have some useful purpose (ie to a plumber!)

Not having a beard, I am evidently missing out by NOT having alginate squirted into my beard! No obvious dental process there though!

For plumbing purposes I use 50 ml syringes as thats only 20 fills for 1000ml of inhibitor etc.

A few chemist shops stock them but its better to get to know ( or marry ) a nurse. Since they are rarely used they usually borrow them from the stores to enable me to use them for boiler purposes.

More often I use them to inject descaling/desludging chemicals into boilers.

Tony

No obvious dental process there though!
Oh yes there is!

And mine's bigger than yours, 100ml :eek:
(In and out 10 times and it's all over)
rishismiley.gif

its been 15 years since I have seen a dentist, and I have never ever had a filling or a problem, even my wisdom, no wise cracks youse guys ;), came through with no hassle.

:)

corgiman said:
its been 15 years since I have seen a dentist.
And it's been about 11 years since I had my Worcseter 240RSF professionally serviced :eek: :LOL:

We've both taken a bir of a risk, we've both been lucky, we're both happy [so far...] :cool:

Cheers,
Nick.

Nickthedentist said:
corgiman said:
its been 15 years since I have seen a dentist.
And it's been about 12 years since I had my Worcseter 240RSF professionally serviced :eek: :LOL:

We've both taken a risk, we've both been lucky, we're both happy [so far...] :cool:

Cheers,
Nick.

well unlike your boiler I can kinda service my self, I can floss and brush and gargle where as your boiler cannae check or change its on gas rate, cannae clean its own heat exchanger, and as you have found out it cannae inject itself with inhibiter

so I feel that I am hardley taking a risk whereas.......:)

Yes, BUT.....

Nick can change his boiler for a new one at any time!!!

Thats not so easy with your teeth!

You are very lucky though if you have good teeth. I used to know this african nurse who had beautiful perfect teeth. However she still went every six months for an inspection.

Tony

Agile said:
Yes, BUT.....

You are very lucky though if you have good teeth. I used to know this african nurse who had beautiful perfect teeth. However she still went every six months for an inspection.

Tony

and what did that, if anything, prevent???

I aint got good teeth I just look after them very well, I feel about dentists the same way that most of the general public feel about us :)

Luck has nowt to do with it, flossing brushing and gargling as everything to do with it :)

corgiman said:
Agile said:
Yes, BUT.....

Tony

and what did that, if anything, prevent???

I aint got good teeth I just look after them very well, I feel about dentists the same way that most of the general public feel about us :)

Luck has nowt to do with it, flossing brushing and gargling as everything to do with it :)

just had the mounted plod at the door

now son calm yersen down :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the oss loved the carrot ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back