transporting fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are they allright to lay horizontally, i've been told they are not - any comments?

Sponsored Links
I've never had to try it lying down (!), but you can do as long as you leave it to stand for at least 24 hours afterwards.

BTW, even more important than that is how you turn it off before moving it - you should turn down the thermostat, wait to make sure that the compressor isn't running, then switch off.

The reason for this is that the compressor will idle itself in a position wherein it will start again. If you pull the rug from under it then it's capable of stalling upon restart, thus burning out the motor. I've never proved that this is true, but have never wanted to either. ;)

The compresor has a thermal cutout, you can switch it off at any time. All the t/stat does is disconnect power, its dosnt say 'hey compressor I about to switch off, so please park'.
Yes you can lay it down, depends on the construction as to what side you can lay it. Its all about the oil in the compressor draining. into the remaining pipwork/condensor/evaporator.

Diyisfun said:
The compresor has a thermal cutout, you can switch it off at any time. All the t/stat does is disconnect power, its dosnt say 'hey compressor I about to switch off, so please park'.
To be pedantic, the thermostat doesn't speak at all, let alone to the compressor.

You didn't read my post properly:

I said:
...you should turn down the thermostat, wait to make sure that the compressor isn't running, then switch off.

Yes you can lay it down, depends on the construction as to what side you can lay it. Its all about the oil in the compressor draining. into the remaining pipwork/condensor/evaporator.
I didn't know that, so I stand corrected. So, how does one tell which side is the 'wrong' one?

Sponsored Links
Ok the word speak, maybe should have been 'speak', cos we all know that 'things' dont have voice boxes.

Re what side to lay the fridge or freezer, its about what side the compressor has the 'closed off' charging pipe. This should be the low side when laying.

OK thanks!

I hope bster reads your post before following my bum steer. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back