installing a mains water pressure reducting valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a high water pressure area. Our 4-year old house has extensive plastic water piping - result :a very loud hum, heard throughout the house,that starts around 11.00 pm when water demand drops. Tried all the usual things like securing all loose piping and fixing an anti-vibration disc on the loft tank ball-cock. We have to turn off mains stopcock at night to get some sleep. I'm told the only 'cure' is to install a water reduction valve. Has anyone done this ? and with what results ? Would it be fitted before or after the mains stopcock ?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fit after the stopcock set to about 3 Bar and add a pressure release valve set at 3.5 Bar after it.

Tony

Sorry to hijack your post.

I recently fitted a pressure reducing valve to our mains supply. Reduced from 6 bar to 4 for a venturi shower. What's the idea of the pressure release valve?

Sponsored Links
Before you do that, check all the float operated valves in the house. Sometimes they hum. Changing the washer ususally cures them. If you lift the float a bit the noise will stop.

Why fit a pressure releif valve after the pressure reducing valve??

Surely if the pressure reducing valve fails the worst that can happen is you go back to a high mains pressure as before and you know to replace the pressure reducing valve as its faulty? Seems daft to me.

Anti vibe disc might as well be used for a frizbee :eek: get a proper equilibrium ballvalve in brass ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back