Please Help, boiler problem after returning from hols...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a baxi solo 2 pf boiler, i have had problems with it in the past, so ill give a little history, before i tell you about the new problem

First fault was a dry joint on the PCB, i fix that and it ran fine for a long time

2nd fault was the fan bearing siezing up, i fixed those and it ran fine for a long time, also replaced the pcb at the same time....

Current problem....

Went away for 2 weeks on hols so heating hasnt been on at all for 15 days, was working fine before we left, got back yesterday turned on water/heating, boiler clicks and nothing else, i removed terminal box from pump, and there was no voltage going to pump.

got the Mrs to turn heating/water on while i have an AVO on pump terminals, voltage comes on 230v , pump runs for a split second, then voltage turns off.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You sem to have resoldered the first PCB and then without explanation "replaced" the PCB.

Why did you "replace" it and was it a genuine "NEW" one or something else?

My immediate reaction is to suspect the PCB.

Tony

Sorry for the confusion, after the 2nd fault, before i traced the fault down to the fan, i replaced the pcb, with a new baxi PCB, after that didnt fix it i traced it to the fan, so that new pcb has only been in a couple of months.

if it is the pcb, will the new PCB i bought have some warranty, as there not cheap?

thx shaun

Sponsored Links
You presumably still have the old PCB which was working when you removed it. Put that in and see if it cures the fault.

I would not expect a nearly new PCB to fail but they can!

Warrantee on a PCB is difficult. That largely depends on where you bought it.

Many spares merchants give absolutely NO warranty at all because so many boiler fixers change the PCB when there is another fault and the other fault just blows the new PCB. If your new PCB really did become faulty then in theory the manufacturer's will guarantee it but getting that operated is likely to be impossible.

Tony

I'm no expert on this, but could it be as simple as your boiler pilot light having gone out, thus preventing the boiler from coming on? This 'may' in turn affect the pump, turning it off....sorry if I'm way out here, but worth a shot!

Ok i have an update, i replaced the PCB this has fixed the problem, cant figure out why it only lasted 6 months though.

I suppose its possible a fault on the pump blew the PCB?, it was making a horrible noise before we went on hols

shaun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back