Is this too expensive for a new boiler installation?

Sponsored Links
I thought it was cheap aswell.Why struggle your b8ll8cks off for people for not much reward. Old system,old cast iron boiler, all the re positioning hassle. Like the old d/glazing ad, you only fit it once.....

joe public think that this flush (lol) of migrant workers willing to do the job for peanuts will do a Corgi standard professional job ,most dont know what corgi means , lol :)
an joe public just want a cheap job done then come to Diy forums to bitch an whine when they get a Proper Estimate (origional poster excluded re my comments !) or it breaks down within months ...teehee

In London we would charge about £2200 I expect.

However no body has questioned if fitting a combi is going to give him enough hot water.

A cylinder fills a bath in 4 minutes, a combi like that in about 11 minutes. Does everyone think he will be happy with that?

OR perhaps he made an ill-informed decision to have a combi boiler himself and this fellow is just obliging without warning him of the pitfalls?

Because we consider our prices are reasonable if anyone tells us they are too expensive then we suggest they use an unregistered East European and we withdraw our quote!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
In London we would charge about £2200 I expect.

However no body has questioned if fitting a combi is going to give him enough hot water.

A cylinder fills a bath in 4 minutes, a combi like that in about 11 minutes. Does everyone think he will be happy with that?

OR perhaps he made an ill-informed decision to have a combi boiler himself and this fellow is just obliging without warning him of the pitfalls?

Because we consider our prices are reasonable if anyone tells us they are too expensive then we suggest they use an unregistered East European and we withdraw our quote!

Tony

just out of interest what boiler would you be fitting?

The Baxi 105 HE in this case ! As a comparative quote only.

In recommending a power of boiler we would consider his needs and expectations.

Tony

Nobody's contested the figures fitz & I suggested, so far.
Lets say the installer wants to earn a little over average , say 35kpa, and his overheads are £10kpa, and he earns for 40 weeks of the year..

So now he has to be vat registered so the profit goes down if he's still charging the same bottom line. But ignoring that, he has to do 90 installations per year to gross his 45k.
That means 2 days per installation, or less, and he has to have a continuous supply of work. It ain't gonna happen.

So it seems he has to clear £1000 on the job, and do bits and pieces the rest of the week, if there's any time. He still has to get one installation like that every week throughout the year.

To convert a conventional system to a combi will take TWO hardworking people about two days minimum.

I would say three and a half days when the WC float valves are changed and all the rads have TRVs fitted and the system properly flushed and the boiler is correctly commissioned and the certification done.

Tony.

Agile said:
To convert a conventional system to a combi will take TWO hardworking people about two days minimum.

I would say three and a half days when the WC float valves are changed and all the rads have TRVs fitted and the system properly flushed and the boiler is correctly commissioned and the certification done.

Tony.

if that is what you do for an install tony and you only charge 2200 quid how the heck do you pay your bills???????????????????

Many thanks for all your replies. I dont have the internet over the weekend hence no posts.

My plumber has not mentioned replacing the TVR's on the rads but a few of you think he should. The rads are pretty much new ( 2 years old) so I guess the TVR's are as well - would they still need replacing and WHY?

Ta

I think we mentioned that they were required but NOT that they needed replacing.

If they are fitted already and in good condition then thats fine!

Tony

mmm your silence speaks volumes to me tony

I dont believe its fair or just to give the public members who post here an unrealistic view of prices

and if you are spending the time you say you are spending, doing the work you say you are doing and fitting the boiler you say you are fitting, either 1 you are getting an ubelieveably amount of discount from you stockists or 2 you are making it up to stick it to other installers

if its 1 Well done you whats is your secret

if its 2 shame on you

I dont think its correct to fill up the replies with installers chit chat.

But as you are chalenging me to reply then fine if Rupert does not mind.

Boiler £900

Boss £700

Assistant £280

bits + overheads £320
--------
£2200

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back