Glow worm Flexcom combi , any views?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As i have limited space to fit a boiler i was wandering if anyone had any opinions on the Glow worm Flexcom combi boiler, as it appears to be the smallest .

Sponsored Links
Its too new to have any feedback on its likely 5 year reliability.

In any case the reliability is more dependent on installation issues like power flushing the system.

Some of the G-W boilers over the last three years have had annoying little problems with the condensate traps leaking which have reduced their popularity with installers.

My suggestion is that if it fits then use it! As long as you have it professionally installed and the system is power flushed.

Tony

Flexcom is a slightly down market product compared with the CXi range. We think they are a bit nasty really, and the user interface buttons are not that easy to get to grips with for ordinary mortals. Having said that, they are too new to give an operational opinion on, but they don't have the same set up as the CXis which did leak and rust until GW carried out suitable modifications to the condensate siphon. We don't have much trouble with the Cxi/Hxi range much now, but we won't be using the flexcom I am told.

All of a sudden stainless steel heat exchangers are OUT and the Aluminium/silicon ar IN......wonder why. Cost of course.

Quite a few round here like the Boulter Buderus combis. They seem nicely made, accessible to service/repair and with ever so simple to install RF controls. They also have plastic cases to defeat the fridge magnet brigade .

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
The Vizo is pretty small but as far as I am aware the flexcom is the only condensing boiler with a rear flue outlet BELOW the top of the casing.

Tony

They have a problem with the ign. i.e very noisey .I will not be using them till it is sorted.The ali h/exch is used for cost purposes it is a cheap boiler and is cheaper to produce ali h/ech by the 1000 out of a foundry mould than pay to have a fabricated s/s ones.

Thanks for the feedback , is gazgeezer saying its noisey whilst running or just on start up ? would be nice to hear some positives , as this boiler is ideal size wise !

He means its noisy when it lights!

I have not heard about that before and usually that kind of problem can be reduced by careful setup but unless the installer has an FGA, as they all should have, then they will not have the right equipment to do it anyway.

Unfortunately, many people asking about particular boilers do so hoping to get glowing reports about them. If thats what you want to hear then its better to ask a salesman!

They are usually disapointed because installers are usually pretty feet on the ground and say it as it is. Domestic boilers are mass produced just like cars but give reasonable service if regularly checked. They break down just like any appliance. In the case of boilers its the quality of the installation, particularly power flushing, which mostly determines the reliability.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back