Upstairs taps are hot but downstairs are cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this sounds silly but it true.

I am hoping that this has something to do with the recent addition of a shower and diverter i have fitted in the bathroom.

If i run the bath tap which is one of the outlets on the tripple shower diverter, then all is fine. If i use the shower, all is fine BUT if i run the tap in the kitchen the water is cool and the boiler takes ages to kick in (combi)

Would i be correct in assuming that there is a possibility that the cold water pressure is pushing past the thermostatic control and going down the hot pipe ?

I have tried selecting the shower to the hottest position and this does help. If i turn the temperature all the way down to cold on the shower, then the water downstairs runs cold again. The boiler does eventually kick in but the water still doesnt get that hot.

Would installing a non return check valve on the hot feed to the shower cure this ? I would hate fitting a pressure reducer at the main inlet has i would hate the fact that if i run a tap and flush the loo everything would come to an almost standstill.

Cheers in advance.

DIY.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
diyisfree said:
Would i be correct in assuming that there is a possibility that the cold water pressure is pushing past the thermostatic control and going down the hot pipe ?
Yep. Check valves should solve it (weren't they integral to the shower mixer?).

well with the price of the bloody thing i would have thought it would have them built in. Its an Hudson reed diverter.

Go on say it "over priced imported chinese tat"

Sponsored Links
"over priced imported chinese tat"

Is that OK? Seriously, what do the instructions say about non-return valves?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back