Condensing boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of replacing my Potterton Profile 80e with a condensing boiler. Could anyone give me any advice. I know about SEDBUK ratings and the general principles of these boilers but what do people think are the best makes. Can you give me any fitting tips, the system is a conventional sealed system with modern low water content rads and two motorised valves for heating and hot water via a megaflow

Bypass at the moment is just via a bypass valve ie not via a rad, is this ok with a condensing boiler or do I need to re think the design

Please spare me any part P or "competent person" speeches I KNOW and will get it checked and passed

Sponsored Links
If your boiler works fine then dont bother. Profile is a very reliable and solid boiler.

If you know it all as you want to imply then you should also know that if you are not CORGI registered no-one ( except Building Control if they agreed ) are able to certify it after it has been correctly fitted and thats only at a fee.

Having to ask for "fitting tips" implies to me that you are NOT classed as competent to fit a gas appliance.

Be awar that selling the property without the correct documentation could be quite costly in legal fees. Solicitors charge about £200 per hour compared with CORGI registered people at about £30.

Tony Glazier

Keep the profile - it will probably outlive your new condenser.

Sponsored Links
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont thats a great boiler you have there, just give it some TLC

why u wanna change it anyhoo?

Agile you obviously didn't read my post properly before you threw your toys out the pram. I know I can't do it without qualified assistance or building regs. The comments you make about problems selling are complete rubbish.

What I was looking for was some general guidance before I start from the (normally) helpful people in here which is what the rest of you have given me. Thanks.

One last question. People say condensers are reliable and more efficient and cut gas bills significantly. Is this true. My 80e which is 13 has been a nightmare and about the only original part is the heat exchanger.

Its exactly because I did read that "you would get it checked and passed" that I had to reply to make sure that you realised that you cannot get it certified AFTER it has been fitted by a non reg.

Since you have to fit a condensing boiler now they are the only types normally available and will save about 22% on gas compared with your profile.

They as about as reliable as any other boiler! In my view there is not much difference between the makes. Its fitting to a clean system which is much more important.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back