Adapting UK plumbing to French

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
instantaneous showers are no where near as common in France as in the UK - they say they are too expensive to run !

I want to install one over there but of course the pipe sizes are different - Copper piping – 'cuivre' – comes in diameters of 8mm, 10, 12, 14 and all the way up to the mid-twenties.

So does anyone know if I can get an adaptor between the two sizes of pipes or is there something else I can do.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do what I done :LOL:

Tie the tube on the car an export it :rolleyes:

try using a pipe expander on the 14mm and opening it up to fit uk 15mm pipe. Hope your not soft soldering as all french plumbing is brazed.

Put a 10mm or 12mm reducer in the 15mm inlet of the shower, or adapt to ½" thread which is also used on the continent. A 10mm tube will be adequate to supply an electric shower.

Sponsored Links
lcgs said:
try using a pipe expander on the 14mm and opening it up to fit uk 15mm pipe.
Better to form a 15mm socket in the 16mm tube. You probably wouldn't get the former in the 14mm.

chrishutt said:
lcgs said:
try using a pipe expander on the 14mm and opening it up to fit uk 15mm pipe.
Better to form a 15mm socket in the 16mm tube. You probably wouldn't get the former in the 14mm.

Actully Chris the 15mm fit quite nicely inside 16mm pipe.

doitall said:
Actully Chris the 15mm fit quite nicely inside 16mm pipe.
Here we go again. :rolleyes: No it won't. Copper tube wall thickness is about 1mm , so 14mm tube will fit nicely inside 16mm, which will fit nicely in 18mm, etc. But not 15mm, unless you expand the 16mm tube a bit.

Well I knew it was something like that :LOL:

Done loads of work on the brittany coast :cool: :cool:

I did some work in Burgundy a few years ago, but we took a load of UK gear with us. A pity, because I liked the idea of working with French tube sizes - no need for reducers!

I pity the French plombier who eventually gets called to sort out a problem in the little house we did up. What will he make of all the weird UK stuff - Merde?

Last job, I had a 25 gallon sadia, and bundles of tube on the roof rack, and god knows what else, but the poor mini clubman was groaning all the way :LOL:

At the customs when I drove off the boat, the man stood there looking me in the eye, and ask if I had anything to declare :eek:

No!!!! says me :LOL: just driving down to do a bit of work in the cottage.

Have a nice trip says he and bid me good day :LOL:

In the next bay was a cortina estate fully loaded with soft toys, and they was having an argument so we drove into the car park for a cup of tea before we set off on a few hundred mile trip.

Anyways back to the story, they pulled everything out of the car including the seats, then tipped their hats and walk away leaving everting on the jetty :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back