One radiator cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just bought my first flat a few months ago - now that it's getting chilly I fired up the central heating. All the radiators hot apart from the one in the living room, which is very cold apart from some very faint warmth towards the top and right.
Have tried bleeding it and no air was trapped. It's the closest radiator to the boiler, and the inlet pipe is hot. Doesn't have a TRV.

Any advice much appreciated, I don't fancy calling out an 'expert' - never had to do that before and with years of watching House of Horrors etc I'm apprehensive ;)

Actually, while I'm here, any idea what the rough going rate would be to get someout out to look at this?? I have no idea!

Sponsored Links
Check valves are open, then shut other radiators to push any airlock through.

House of Horrors is a farce!

That was a quick reply!

Thanks for tip, will try. Do you mean both valves? (ie Lockshield one too, that's fully closed at the moment)

Sponsored Links
techno12 said:
Do you mean both valves? (ie Lockshield one too, that's fully closed at the moment)

This could be why you've got no flow? ;)

If both valves open and still not heating rad, could close them both, take off rad and hose it through in garden, then refit.

ChrisR said:
"techno"?? :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: They really should do a "House of Punters".......now that'd be funny and more realistic :LOL:

Just banter, Techno (cough.... :LOL: )

noodlz said:
ChrisR said:
"techno"?? :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: They really should do a "House of Punters".......now that'd be funny and more realistic :LOL:

Just banter, Techno (cough.... :LOL: )

Hehe! Yup, I know loads about techy (computer) stuff, and nowt about DIY (my Collins DIY manual didn't mention opening that valve!) - trying it now ;)

Good luck :D

Read the manual....it'll save you a few bob ;)

Ah well turning that lockshield had no effect - I think it was fully open to begin with anyway (kept turning it clockwise until it was stiff again, I think clockwise is off!)

I'll probably need to call in a dude!

ChrisR said:

Just tried this and it's working!! Thanks! I'd been researching prices for new radiators, and one to replace it was at least £130 - phew ;)

techno12 said:
ChrisR said:

Just tried this and it's working!! Thanks! I'd been researching prices for new radiators, and one to replace it was at least £130 - phew ;)

Ah, if I turn the other radiators back on it's cold again - balancing issue??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back