HOUSE ALARM WINDOW SENSOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WE HAVE RECENTLY HAD NEW WINDOWS AND DOORS FITTED AND ONE OF THE REMOTE WINDOW SENSORS HAS GONE MISSING(PROBABLY IN THE RUBBISH).AS A STOP GAP WOULD I BE ABLE TO DISCONNECT THE WIRES TO THE REMAINING WIRED IN SENSOR AND JOIN THESE TOGETHER TO COMPLETE THE LOOP.ALSO THE WINDOW FRAMES CHAMFER DOWN AT 45 DEGREES SO THE SENSORS THAT ARE COMPLETE DONT MATCH UP SQUARE.

Sponsored Links
You may find that the sensor has 4 wires. One pair forms the "tamper" circuit, which is used to detect if the wires are cut to the sensor. The other pair are the contacts of the sensor itself. You should try to identify the tamper circuit as this will be broken because the sensor s mssing. For the tamper circuit you need to connect the two wires together (as would happen in the sensor if it were there). The other pair can be left, if they were connected together they would signify an "alarm" to the control box. Hope that helps. Paul

i beg to disagree with the above; sensors are reed switches and the contacts are kept closed by the magnet; alarm condition is generated[contacts open]when the magnet is serarated from sensor[window open].therefore u need to short out both pairs ,alarm pair and tamper pair.to find out which wires form the pairs unsrew another sensor and note the pairs; the alarm sw in the sensor has silver wires [like staples]connected to the same screw as 1 of ur pair
hope this help

i would have to agree with the second post, leaving the circuit pair open would create an alsrm condition.

Mind you we are all assuming it is a diy alarm, is it?

Sponsored Links
I posted the first reply and on re-reading I have to apologise that I did get the sensor type wrong. I agree that if they are of the reed type which would be normally closed when in operation, then you would have to short out the pair to over-ride the loss of the sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back