Potterton Profile 30e - Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, have a boiler problem which I hope someone can help with. My Potterton profile boiler (approx 5-years old) fires up as normal from cold and then runs ok for up to 30 mins until it reaches the desired setting on the boiler thermostat. It then goes off but fails to re-light again: the fan comes on for a second, I can hear a click and then the fan goes off - this fan on/off cycling then repeats constantly but the boiler does not light. If I allow the boiler to cool and then take the boiler thermostat control down to zero and increase it gradually I can usually get the boiler to re-light (after a few attempts fiddling with the thermostat). The boiler then runs as normal until it reaches the desired temperature and the the whole process repeats again - I have to wait for it to cool, reduce the thermostat to zero and slowly increase. Any ideas?

What is particularly annoying is that the boiler was fine until I had it serviced a few months ago. It then stopped working completely soon after, my plumber replaced the fan and it now works intermittently as described above.

Sponsored Links
The usual culprit with those, ticking on off, is the pcb, but yours sounds connected with the thermostat(s). Thermostats are easy enough to test with a contact thermometer and a meter, or even just a meter...

Info at partsarena.com/baxi.

Thanks for the swift reply. Given the age of the boiler (and assuming there is nothing wrong with the thermostats) would it be worth replacing the PCB? Could be very expensive from what I've read on here?

IF you eliminate the stats, and other bits like the fan and APS, sure.
You could fit 15 or so pcb's for one new boiler.

Sponsored Links
dansmi said:
Thanks for the swift reply. Given the age of the boiler (and assuming there is nothing wrong with the thermostats) would it be worth replacing the PCB? Could be very expensive from what I've read on here?

then use your head and read elsewhere !

PCBs are probably about £90 for a new one! Some people fit second hand ones or even repaired parts!

We would charge £84 to diagnose the real fault whatever that is, fit the part at the cost and do a basic service.

Tony

whereas a recon one costs £30 ++ and fitting it yourself is a doddle

Hello, me again. Following my post above I had my plumber look at the boiler again. He replaced a small part free of charge (not sure exactly what it was, but some kind of small plastic/rubber tube). This appeared to do the trick as the boiler has worked fine for the past three days. However the boiler has now stopped working again. Whereas previously the fan was cycling on/off, now the fan stays on constantly but the boiler will not fire up. Also, previously I could get the boiler to work by playing with the thermostat, but this no longer has any effect. Does this still point to the pcb? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back