Gloworm EnergySaver 50e Condenser Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Everything functioning well with this boiler except the initial gas ignition.

I have uncovered the boiler to find a slim white stick protruding into the inner cavity from the right hand side with a metal prong pointing downward. I assume this is the electrode that sparks and ignites the gas.

When the boiler is switched on the electrode clicks perfectly well The the gas then comes on, but does not ignite. If I fiddle with the downward pointing metal prong (and reposition it carefully) then the gas ignites perfectly well. Sometimes the gas does not ignite till the last click (which gives the boom of course when all the covers are on).

My question is regarding the metal prong:

1) Is it meant to be removable - I mean physically severed - from the white stick casing (for cleaning purposes?) - or is this the cause of the problems (i.e. it needs reattaching)

2) Is there a way to position it so the gas ignites after the first click everytime.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Really only a CORGI registered or similar competent person should be opening the "inner cavity" as you call it.

The "white stick" is the ignition electrode and if the metal part is detached from the ceramic insulator then perhaps its broken although I dont see any reason why that should have happened unless you have broken it.

Now that you have got so far why not replace it?

Tony

Agile said:
Now that you have got so far why not replace it?

Thanks for the response Agile.

When you say replace it, do I have to replace the whole ignition electrode? if i look at this, it is affixed by screws to a plate just on the outside of the "inner cavity" box - the problem is that this plate is very badly corroded so I cannot unscrew it!

where would i go to replace it? or can i do a "botch fix" on the downward pointing metal prong

Thanks Again

Paul

I am sorry but I dont bodge anything or advise anyone else to.

Maybe you should angle grind off the corroded part and drill and tap the fixing screw hole if necessary?

If the boiler is in such a poor condition then perhaps it should be replaced?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just going back to the matter of the electrode. I remember that when a Corgi engineer visited the property he did pull out the metal prong on the electrode to clean it (when the boiler was not igniting) - that's what made me think it was detachable.
Maybe it was not meant to be detached at all, and that the engineer knowingly damaged the electrode?

i beleive there's no pilot injector so for initial stage lighting the gas would still enter through the main injector. This may also be worth cleaning aswell as the electrode and burner. Why not just get an engineer round to give it a good service.

The gas enters the burner via the injector situated on the left hand side the electrde will need to be replaced if you cannot unscrew it it may need a new burner assy.By the time you have employed a corgi reg engineer and costed the replacement part it would probably be better to replace the boiler as it sounds like it has not been serviced regulary.They tend to leak crroding the inside ,is this the case?

rob884 said:
i beleive there's no pilot injector so for initial stage lighting the gas would still enter through the main injector. This may also be worth cleaning aswell as the electrode and burner. Why not just get an engineer round to give it a good service.

Sorry Rob, I changed my last post as you were writing yours.

What are the two terms "burner" and "main injector". Is the burner simply the metal grill covering the base of the chamber? Is the main injector a unit beneath the grill, if so how do I access it?

Regards
Paul

your correct with burner the injector is mounted to the end of the gas inlet pipe and is a specific size to deliver the right amount of gas. even the smallest blockage may affect the lighting procedure.

needs cleaning with an air can. the burners retention ports ie the holes may also be impeded by debris close to the electrode.

Cleaning/removing the injector is corgi territory you should not attempt this as you prob. do not posses the knowledge or equipment to test for gas leaks on re-assembly the burner is water cooled by the way so the system would need draining to remove this

Cleaning/removing the injector is corgi territory you should not attempt this as you prob. do not posses the knowledge or equipment to test for gas leaks on re-assembly the burner is water cooled by the way so the system would need draining to remove this

Thanks chaps, all very useful tips.

Can someone explain why on one occasion you get gas ignition on the first click of the electrode, and then after switching off and immediately switching on to try ignition again absolutely jack happens!

Maddening stuff and seems to defy logic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back