Is power flushing worth £200 ?

Paul said:
Thinking about the s plan reverse direction problem, maybe the best thing is to flush two rads at a time, so that the flushing circulation will use the other rad as a route, if you get what I mean, or else the zone valve would have to be taken out of circuit.

Er, I don't follow :confused: .

I woz told that the Jetflush has a 3 bar pump but is flow-restricted for some reason. Fernox is 3 bar and unrestrcted. Standard Kamco and Norstrum about 1.4 bar. Kamco do bigger machines but suggest the extra pressure can be a problem on old systems. Only if pumping into a dead end surely.

Simond - why do you say Ferroquest is aggressive? Have you had problems? It isn't acidic like DS-3 or FX-2.

Sponsored Links
I bought a 3 bar 50l/min pump for £20 and intend to use it like this
PumpBridge2.gif

to provide a boost to the flusher I use. How long it will last with chems and grot going through it I don't know. (You could use the same arrangement to determine which way round you connected a magnetic filter, if you felt it important.)
It would be simple to add a bypass across the pump, and pressure gauge.

Red paths open and blues shut pumps one way, and vv.

(In fact if you use a big bucket and a submersible pump, you've got yourself a powerflusher for about £50!)

I too have been considering a lift pump to suplement my Roten Burger. I use it inside a big floppy yellow plasterers knocking up whatsit so I don't have to worry about the water level. Had it nearly to the brim of the yellow bucket yesterday.

On the submersible pump, the lad I trained who went on his own uses a very small submersible pond pump that costs peanuts to clear airlocks. He just puts it into the f/e tank and passes a hose as far down the feed as he can, blocks the vent and turns it on. Works a treat. He also used it to pump the sludgy water out of my powerflush so we didn't have to lift it. I must get me one of those. You could also use it when you're digging out.

ChrisR said:
I bought a 3 bar 50l/min pump for £20 and intend to use it like this
to provide a boost to the flusher I use. How long it will last with chems and grot going through it I don't know. (You could use the same arrangement to determine which way round you connected a magnetic filter, if you felt it important.)
It would be simple to add a bypass across the pump, and pressure gauge.
quote]

Why not buy the correct tool fo the job instead of your ***** arrangemment? be a professional

As it happens, I might just know someone who has one for sale

You can buy the reversing valve from Kamco for a few tens of notes - then you'd only be half *****

Sponsored Links
the correct tool fo the job
Which is which flusher - in your opinion? What pressure and flow rate do you consider correct? And which flusher do you think I have?!
I don't think much of any of the flushing machines I know about. Tell me one which has a pressure gauge, a variable pressure, means for pulsing the water.....
As you presumably know, the Kamco reversing valve isn't very good - it leaks backwards.
The Fernox machine may be the best of the normal bunch.

Agile said:
You seem to not understand what power flushing is for!
Consider power flushing as ESSENTIAL !!!
Oh really? That's not what you said here:

"Power flushing to me is primarily a show for the customer. There are few situations I see it doing any better that the correct treatment left for the appropriate time using the system boiler and pump or in extreme cases mains water pressure flushing. X400 does need four weeks of heating use. Only the acid treatments will be completed in a few hours and I only use them in the worst cases."

Or did you write that when you didn't understand what power flushing is for? :rolleyes:

My responses are in red italics following each quoted comment.
simond said:
I would rather use a PF because;

-it is easily reversible without disconnecting filthy hoses

So is mains flushing - if you use a reversing valve (4 valves in a square - see ChrisR drawing above).

-the cleaning chemicals work better with heat

As they do when circulated in between mains flushings.

-mains pressure water can stress older systems and components

Never heard of pressure reducing valves? - you can set whatever pressure if appropriate.

- the process is more controllable

How?

-we need to have a better control over the time out of action for the customer

How does PF give better control of time?

-what if a motor valve snaps shut and you blow the primaries in the cylinder? some boilers we use and work on are not rated above 2.5bar

See comment on PRV above.

It is my opinion that cold water flushing, or leaving desludger in a hot system on a normal velocity pump is never going to be as effective as a PF.

But I'm advocating a combination of mains flushing and hot chemical treatment which is at least as effective as PF.

Those boiler installers without a PF are either trying to work out of a small car/estate, or are eager to save themselves money.

Parking a small van is much easier and what's wrong with saving money? I certainly try to do that.

power flushing machines have been around a lot longer than most of you,i first used one back in the early eighties :LOL: the company i worked for used them to descale dhw heat exchangers on early combis vokera and valiants being the main offenders,they can clear total blockages in these with the correct chemicals.as far as using them on heating sys goes i do not see the benefits so i flush using mains pressure on each rad in both directions with a chemical having been circulated for at least one week prior to the new boiler being installed.experience has taught me that a pf done incorrectly leads to more problems i know of one company doing 6 pf a day leaving a trail of destruction behind them.their is no reason to pf a sys if it was installed correctly but as we know their are more idiots doing instals than competent people due to the prices charged by them pay peanuts you get monkeys.hi kev :LOL:

thanks guys for all the response , i think i've saved myself £200 ! :D

Topturner we have digressed a bit. If your old system IS dirty, it WILL need flushing, for which I'd use a PF machine (with a squirt or two from the mains as well) , and £200 would be very good value indeed.

How many horse power are all your powerflush motors, My Rottenberger is 0.2. I am considering buying a bigger pump and mounting it on the aparatus. For example is 1 hp OTT?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back