One pipe system + new boiler

pannierstan said:
My best suggestion to the original question would be to install in the loft and then for the minimum of inconvinience have pipes dropped to each radiator.

Then you will have a nice new High Eff boiler and a decent system to run it on in order to save as much money as poss.

I for one still cannot see how a condensing boiler which theoretically should have a temp diff across the h/ex of approx 20 deg will work as it should on a one pipe system.

But hey thats just me.

Stan

and me but we are against giants

Sponsored Links
yeah in an ideal world yeah you would rip out the 1 pipe system and install a 2 pipe. You would put this to a customer when replaceing a boiler. but if they can't afford the extra work and upset decor then you will give it a go. I will do as much or as little as the customer wants me too. ideally i would love to fit the customer a top notch Viessmann Vidodens 300 condensing boiler complete with outside weather compensator but no doubt 9/10 they will want a cheaper boiler that will do the same job. If we had the choice we would but at the end of the day you can only do your best to explain to the customer and suite there needs.

corgiman said:
pannierstan said:
My best suggestion to the original question would be to install in the loft and then for the minimum of inconvinience have pipes dropped to each radiator.

Then you will have a nice new High Eff boiler and a decent system to run it on in order to save as much money as poss.

I for one still cannot see how a condensing boiler which theoretically should have a temp diff across the h/ex of approx 20 deg will work as it should on a one pipe system.

But hey thats just me.

Stan

and me but we are against giants
et moi....but I`m not even a corgi now :oops: why bother with one-pipers buried in concrete floors :?:I`d walk away ,Renee :LOL:

i can tell u B.G. quoted four grand for the job and were happy to take the dosh.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the problem is to keep a one pipe as apposed to a two pipe 20 degree across the h/ex . the common return on the old one pipe runs cool until all the rads have heated up well as long as its ballanced well.

Thanks everyone, you have helped a lot. I can see that even for those 'in the know' this is a dilemma and it makes me feel a lot better. Think that we will go for the two pipe system, like you say, there's no point investing in a new boiler and compromising this with old pipework. Obviously though if it is going to cause a hell of a disruption or we come across problems then we may have to reconsider.

One last question though. Will it mean all new pipework or will it mean just adding the extra pipe to what we already have?

Tabitha said:
One last question though. Will it mean all new pipework or will it mean just adding the extra pipe to what we already have?

I would say all new pipework otherwise it will look a bodge. I looked at that job last night. I think they can keep the one pipe system running ok. If they want to replace all the pipework its going to add another £5-6k (large house!)

I had a guv`nor once ...know nothing prat like a lot of them :rolleyes: Alaways on about re using old pipe ..mostly we ignored him ....the guys kept that firm together .....one job I left some old in ....leaked and went thru a ceiling :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back