Potty Kingfisher MF 80 pilot light problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to one of these yesterday which had an interesting and slightly different problem which I have not seen before.

The pilot light sometimes lifts off the flame detection electrode giving a loss of detection. Otherwise the flame size is normal and blue.

I was in a hurry and only had time to quickly look at the jets and blow through them. They looked clean and looking through the orifices it also looked clear. I did not have time to boil them or poke with anything.

Is this a common problem and is there any other cause other than the jet holes?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Cor, don't do much for your 84 quid, eh ? :D

Would have thought it would have adjusted away on the gv.

There is no obvious adjustment on the valve but that is not the point.

There is plenty of gas to the pilot its just not burning correctly!

Tony

Only similar problem ive come across when pilot lifted off was because the HE fins were completely clogged.

Sponsored Links
On this one the boiler is only four years old and quite clean.

The problem still arises when the front cover is off so its clearly connected to the pilot itself.

Tony

I went back there a couple of days ago with my special tool of a thin needle in a Dumisani cork to clean the pilot jently. ( Its not an approved tool and must be used jently ).

Its a little better now but is still lifting off the electrode sometimes.

Surely someone else has encountered this?

Tony

that is not the point.

There is plenty of gas to the pilot
There might be too much!

For the sake of about £4 why not try another injector? You might not be the first to have thrust needles into it.

To explain in more detail.

The pilot flame looks perfect at a snapshot. Ideal size and starts burning about 10 mm below electrode.

Every so often and apparently randomly the flame lifts off its usual burning point and moves past the electrode and so loses flame detection. This happens regardless of the cover being on or off.

A possible cause might be variations in the gas supply pressure to the pilot but I have let this blow through with the jet out and tapping the valve seems to make no difference.

The PCB has insignificant detection time delay and so immediately cuts the main burner and has to relight.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back