Gas pipe question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right then just wondering if someone in the know can give me a bit of advice.
I'm looking to have a new boiler fitted to replace the old one but I want to move it into the garage. Iv had some quotes for the job and all have said I need a 22mm pipe from my gas meter regardless of location even though they did not even look at the gas pipe! The only thing with this is I would have the pipe running from the box on the front of my house all the way around the wall to the back which I dont really fancy.
Now Iv had a little look and the pipe leaving the gas meter is 22mm and it then reduces down behind the plaster board to 15mm for the hob and old boiler at the back of the house in the kitchen. My question is could they just drill through the wall into the garage and T off that 22mm pipe supplying the hob and old boiler? :eek: :D

Sponsored Links
22mm is probably too small anyway for a condensing boiler.

get your Corgy to size it properly, or post the details on here.

The system is an old unvented system with cylinder and feeds from tank in attic. I'm just going to have the old conventional boiler replaced with a more uptodate one.

I'm just going to have the old conventional boiler replaced with a more uptodate one.

Geddaway!

"Details" means what is the new boiler, make and model/ouput, and how far is it from the meter to your proposed joining point, and how far from there to the new boiler position? Are there any other gas appliances?

Sponsored Links
Ok why didnt you saywhat you needed :D

It will probably be a greenstar 18Ri. The gas pipe as said is 22mm from front of house to kitchen under hob about ~7meters with 3 bends at most. I would then require the pipe to be extended about 4meters with a further 4 bends.

Hope this is enough info :rolleyes:

22mm should be fine for that, even with a limited amount of 15mm in the run.

Chris, it is possible to continue the 22mm run all the way to the boiler with minimal work just a T off the 22mm pipe for the hob should be needed. Just wondered if this long run and hob running off it would be the reason for the plumbers saying I needed a new 22mm pipe from the gas box. God knows how they came up with it as they tested nothing. I just assume they think its difficult to find the gas pipe so they just run an ugly pipe half way round my house wall! :mad:

goooba769 said:
I just assume they think its difficult to find the gas pipe so they just run an ugly pipe half way round my house wall! :mad:
Probably. I can't really say more without seeing the site, but from what you say I can't see why a branch shouldn't be taken off as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back