Main Gas Supply from Meter to Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon to be having my gas meter box moved due to an extension on my house that means its now currently inside my house in the extension.

Now before I go any further, please dont reply to this saying "get ya Corgi to deal with it". I know that and I am eventually going to do that when I get to that stage, however I personally want to know myself what the correct way is before I employ someone to undertake the work.

My problem is the meter will be the other side of the house from the boiler. Will 22mm copper pipe be sufficient from meter to boiler also will the gas pipe from the meter be allowed to be run in the floor? My floor is made up of a damp proof membrane and 60mm Celotex over the block and beam floor, then 18mm t&g chipboard flooring floating on the celotex.
Can the pipe run from the meter under the chipboard floor down the side of the celotex and is the pipe allowed to have joints? Does it have to run inside anything? Any special pipe to be used? and how far away from the skirting is the requirement for the pipe to be?

Or...... would it be better to chase the pipe up the wall behind dot and dabbed plaster board into the ceiling cavity then across the other side of the room on the joists then back down the wall behind the dot and dab to the boiler.

The boiler is a potterton Suprima boiler running my heating and hot water.

And finally if I wanted to put a gas point in for a possible gas fire at a later stage, would 'I just T off the gas pipe under the flooring and across to the wall?

Please keep the answers as plain english as possible so I understand them :) I have tried to post this on another forum and people just told me to get the Corgi guys in , etc etc. I know all this, just want advice!

Many thanks in advance for your help

Neil

Sponsored Links
The size of the pipe is relative to the size of the boiler & the distance run, you will probably need to run 28mm if you allready have a large house & are gona tee a 7kw fire off but its all speculation without sizing the job which the installer you use will do.

the floor distance is 7metres and I have a potterton suprima 50l, my main questions tho were can the pipe run under the cellotex and in the wall behind the dot and dab plasterboard?? and can there be joins and does the pipe have to run in anything?

Many thanks

Running gas pipework under chipboard tongue and groove flooring is currently under review. With traditional floorboards there is sufficient ventillation for any potential gas leak to escape.

As it currently stands running pipework on beam/block flooring with insulation/chipboard is currently shown as an approved method in the gas technical manuals available to corgi installers. I would expect most installers to happily run copper pipework (with soldered joints) under your chipboard. I would also protect the pipe from abrasion either with standoff clipping or lagging.

Pipework can be run behind dot and dab drylining. The pipe must be protected and fully encased with adhesive to prevent any accumulation of gas (from a leak) behind the plasterboard.

Pipe size can only be arrived at by calculations and experience.

Sponsored Links
many many thanks, thats has been most helpful. Can you just define what u mean by fully encased in adhesive? do u mean tape the pipe full lenght? Or run pipe in another bigger bore pipe? And will the installer just T off half way up the room for the fire place point?? and does the pipe have to be a certain distance from the perimeters?

fully encased means protect pipe or used plastic coated then completely cover all pipework with drywall adhesive as board is fitted so if the pipe is nailed,screwed or drilled the gas can only escape through the hole & not behind the rest of the plaster board.

Methinks you are diy'ing - there's a lot more to it than whats been said so far.

charliefunkuk said:
the floor distance is 7metres and I have a potterton suprima 50l, my main questions tho were can the pipe run under the cellotex and in the wall behind the dot and dab plasterboard?? and can there be joins and does the pipe have to run in anything?

Many thanks

As I said elsewhere, Yes, subject to regs and conditions, it can run under the insulation, if it is protected from the damp membrain and fixed to the oversite, it cannot run down or around the edge/s.

running vertical pipes depends on the method used to dry line, on solid walls as above, timber frame or battens, has to be ducted.

Horizontal pipes, ???? now thats another story altogether.

Just leave it the your Corgy, although I don't think we have one in mind.

I can recommend a few other forums as well if you like to ask them.

Just to clear any suspicions up, I have no choice but to have a Corgi install the system as I would require it to be certificated for the council to pass off the development at the end. The inspector has already told me he will require corgi certificates and Part P certs for the electrics. My reason for wanting to know in such detail what is supposed to be done is that I have been victim of some rather shabby work during this whole extension project, which cost me dearly through no fault of my own. If I know what is supposed to happen with things, then I am in a better position to challenge the tradesman if its not. I am far from a DIYer and wouldnt even contemplate even painting let alone gas pipes!! Hope you all understand. And thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back