cold water storage tank overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope I can explain this well enough...

I have a problem in that my cold water storage tank has been intermittently overflowing.

I have a back boiler (i think) downstairs and then a hot water tank in the upstairs airing cupboard, and then the tank in the roof. I joined that Homecare thing recently and they said the boiler was working well when they came to check it all out.
History wise (in case it's relevant):
I bought the house 10 months ago, almost immediately had upstairs bathroom replaced (with built in shower.. no box on the wall, but a faceplate with 1 knob for temperature and one for on/off). No problems.

Then 3 months ago, overflowing tank (bit scarey... didn't know there was such a thing!). Got the old DIY book out and tried replacing whole ballvalve and float, but didn't help. Called out plumber who decided maybe tank was warping so had brand new 'coffin' tank put in, but... that night still overflowing! turned off various valves and cold water feeds while they were doing a bit of other plumbing work (replacing some radiators) and then when finally all turned on again, problem seemed to have sorted! Did have a couple days noisy pipes when having shower (and hot water to shower not v good) but then all settled.

This week, have a builder in to move downstairs toilet and sink about, and all of a sudden that night have overflow again (quite a big flow by the way, not just a drip or trickle). Turned off mains to ball valve, but still leaking. Then realised could see some convection currents in water and seems that where the water should be flowing down to the airing cupboard hot tank, it is maybe flowing up! (only 3 ways for water to get in tank: through cold mains- is off, so not that, through vent from hot tank: tied milk bottle over this and no water- so not that, or from where the water flows out: does appear to be this.

So... I turn off a valve in airing cupboard which controls the flow of the water from cold tank to hot one which did stop the problem.

Good news is: when I turned it back on again, the problem seems to have stopped.

So... why am I asking for help: I just don't know what could be up, and if it may be some lurking seroius problem or maybe just a little glitch? I read a past post about cracked coils in tank, but surely if this was the case I would have a continuous problem??

Thanks so much for any advice,
Mandy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back