BG At My House Now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question not that I dont trust people, but Ive got a Ideal Classic RS260, BG chap claimed they dont make this type of bolier anymore (not the brand the way it works) and its probably older than 15 years may be 20, told probably needs replacing as well as having a power flush, have this model of boiler been around that long, it doesnt look old to me. He based this decision on the fact I told him it cycles alot as it tries to get the reach the thermistat temp. He is looking at it now.

New boiler and power flush usual BG tatics or the truth ?

Sponsored Links
Quoted £800 for a Power Flush in the end he think there is a blockage in the system, £800 sound alot, its a 3 bedroom house with 7 radititors.
He said the boiler was cycling alot due to the blockage not being able to clear the water quick enough.

That might be double what an independent person might charge. BG are not noted for their low prices.

You could say you'll "get back to him" as he will probably not have the machine and the time to do it today.

Then see if you can find a highly-recommended person who you can trust to do a thorough job (done properly, it does take time) for less.

It may also be worth circulating a cleansing chemical for a week or so (depending on instructions) before the flush. You might even do a chemical clean, drain & flush (several) and refill with inhibitor yourself, if you have the time and skills more readily available to you than the money.

It can also be worth having a Magnaclean fitted which will trap residual black grime circulating in the water (there is always quite a bit left, in nooks and crannies). Device costs about £100 plus fitting time.

Stand by for a barrage of other opinions!

I know a slightly recommended person with a powerflush kit in Sussex.not Corgi, so no boiler diagnosis/repair ;)

Sponsored Links
n the end he said boiler was ok, just thinks block in system somewhere.

Just testing central heating now, have boiler on number 4 and thermostat at 23c, I have my own thermometer next to it. Its defo going back to the small flame before the temp is reached. The BG man when I asked him wasnt really clear when I asked him should it start cycling before the therm temp is reached, generally do boliers start cycling before temp is reached ?

The boiler is responding the the flow temperature of the water it sends to the radiators. Before switching off completely it will switch to small flame.

Its not immediately obvious to me what the problem is meant to be.

Tony

It could just be that your pump's falling asleep, or become gunged up.
Do you have cold radiator spots, or bottoms?

Rolo
We charge £350 for a power flush takes about 6 hours for your info.
Pete

Agile said:
The boiler is responding the the flow temperature of the water it sends to the radiators. Before switching off completely it will switch to small flame.

Its not immediately obvious to me what the problem is meant to be.

Tony

Hi thanks for all the replies.

Tony you hit the nail on the head, thats what I mean Im not sure if the boiler is supposed to do this or not. If your saying the boiler goes to small flame as a result of the flow temp rather than the thermostate temp in the room it looks like it working ok. All radiators are hot, too hot to touch with no cold spots, even when the boiler isnt on full flame, they still feel hot and I can hear a weering sound in the radiators. I always thought the bolier would stay on full flame till the thermostate reached the required the temp, I take it this is not the case then ?

On another note, all the radiators I have are place on inside walls not under the window as recommended, would moving them under the window make a big difference, is it worth the cost ?

Cheers everyone :p

Mine does, may be what I should of said is that it goes to the pilot light, the pilot light is always lite

all the rads on inside walls .......and back to back from room to room :?: Sounds like Bg in the late 70`s :LOL: ....and maybe all a similar size too ;) ........Iused to do what would be classed as bespoke rad fitting ...But if you`ve got double glazing and insulated walls it doesn`t matter too much where the rad goes ..............I used to ask the customer exactly where they wanted them and what sort of size to suit them with the correct output for the room .........there are still people who do this and can do the gas thru Corgi.....I gave it up when corgi started to bite........happy days ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back