radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
A friend of mine has a shop and wants to move two radiators onto another wall which is a partition wall and therefore hollow.1) How can i hang them up and make sure that the rads do not come off the hollow wall due to their weight??
2) Is it a requirement to supplementary bond them or is it a requirement to do that only in bathrooms?? Than k u very much.

Sponsored Links
fix them to the studs.

oh, and are you insured to work in a shop?

dotto,

Only the bathroom rad needs cross bonding.

Breezer is right. If you can fix to the studs that's the way to go. You may be able to just screw a stud or strap across two studs and use the stud or strap as your mounting anchor. However if you find the studs are too far apart to do this or it wouldn't look right then the job is going to be a little bit more involved and will require a bit of plastering.

The method:

You may well find that you want or need to mount the rad between two vertical studs or indeed between three (i.e. one in the middle of where your rad will be mounted). You're going to have to 'chop' into the stud wall and add a 'stretcher'. To do this, you'll need some 3x2 stud (available at your B&Q). You'll need enough to add 2 stretchers. One for the bottom screws of the rad bracket and one for the top screws. Mark where your rad will be mounted. Then you'll need to locate where the vertical wall studs are running. Once you know this and you know where your mounting holes need to be, you can chop into the wall (only about a 4inch gap horizontally between the wall studs. Once you have a channel chopped out, insert a length of 3x2 just long enough to span between the wall studs and screw this new horizontal stretcher into the vertical studs at both ends. Use decent size screws and pre-drill the holes in order to get a good fixing. Once your stretchers are in place you'll need to cover them by plastering over using plaster board and then plastering up. Or if there are no big gaps just use PVA to pre-treat the area to be plastered then plaster straight on top. Once its all dry you can mount your brackets and mount your rads!

The same principle can be used and plastering can wait, if you chop into the 'other side' of the stud wall. i.e. chop into the wall in the room that the stud wall divides. Thus enabling you to get on with mounting the rads and as i say, plastering can be done later assuming the room isn't used.

Hope that makes sence.

Sponsored Links
Blasphemous said:
dotto,

Only the bathroom rad needs cross bonding.

Breezer is right. If you can fix to the studs that's the way to go. You may be able to just screw a stud or strap across two studs and use the stud or strap as your mounting anchor. However if you find the studs are too far apart to do this or it wouldn't look right then the job is going to be a little bit more involved and will require a bit of plastering.

The method:

You may well find that you want or need to mount the rad between two vertical studs or indeed between three (i.e. one in the middle of where your rad will be mounted). You're going to have to 'chop' into the stud wall and add a 'stretcher'. To do this, you'll need some 3x2 stud (available at your B&Q). You'll need enough to add 2 stretchers. One for the bottom screws of the rad bracket and one for the top screws. Mark where your rad will be mounted. Then you'll need to locate where the vertical wall studs are running. Once you know this and you know where your mounting holes need to be, you can chop into the wall (only about a 4inch gap horizontally between the wall studs. Once you have a channel chopped out, insert a length of 3x2 just long enough to span between the wall studs and screw this new horizontal stretcher into the vertical studs at both ends. Use decent size screws and pre-drill the holes in order to get a good fixing. Once your stretchers are in place you'll need to cover them by plastering over using plaster board and then plastering up. Or if there are no big gaps just use PVA to pre-treat the area to be plastered then plaster straight on top. Once its all dry you can mount your brackets and mount your rads!

The same principle can be used and plastering can wait, if you chop into the 'other side' of the stud wall. i.e. chop into the wall in the room that the stud wall divides. Thus enabling you to get on with mounting the rads and as i say, plastering can be done later assuming the room isn't used.

Hope that makes sence.
Thanks 4 the answer Blasphemous. I understood that i have to cut out a rectangular piece of plaster board inbetween the vertical studs in order to slide the 2 stretchers in that will support the rads. Two silly questions here: 1) how would i know the exact distance between the 2 vertical studs so that i can cut the stretchers the correct length if i only cut out 4 or 5 inches of plaster board ?2) Would you screw them to the studs from the outside in an angle by just sliding them in the cut-out channel and holding them one at a time from the outside of the wall an figuring out their position behind the wall? Thanks again 4 the clarification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back