How to dismantle a water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to dismantle a sink tap and have got as far as taking the tap`cover` off but not quite sure where to go from there, I have tried a wrench on the brass part but doesnt seem to move so dont want to force it. I have added pics below to help.....thanks

TurkOct060068.jpg

TurkOct060071.jpg

TurkOct060073.jpg

TurkOct060069.jpg

Sponsored Links
When you say "dismantle" what do you want to do? Take it off so you can fit a new tap (use the nut underneath), or open it up to fit a new washer or something (use the top nut)?

juco said:
I am trying to dismantle a sink tap and have got as far as taking the tap`cover` off but not quite sure where to go from there, I have tried a wrench on the brass part but doesnt seem to move so dont want to force it. I have added pics below to help.....thanks

TurkOct060068.jpg

TurkOct060071.jpg

TurkOct060073.jpg

TurkOct060069.jpg

Apply heat with a blowtorch (gently) & these will be removable, if your doing the cold tap make sure you turn off mains :eek: if doing hot tap make sure you empty hot water cylinder by opening all hot taps first, (if you have a combi do same anyway) you can buy tap revivers whereby you just get rid of your c*rap tap handles & fit new ones without the need for a robbing plumber ;) Like me :eek:

Sponsored Links
You have got the right nut try holding the tap against you with a shifter or you may crack the basin

Thanks for the replies, I want to dismantle and clean it as it requires a heavy hand hand to stop it dripping, it may need a new washer. So not looking to replace the taps (hopefully)

juco

juco said:
Thanks for the replies, I want to dismantle and clean it as it requires a heavy hand hand to stop it dripping, it may need a new washer. So not looking to replace the taps (hopefully)

juco

NEW HEADS FIFTEEN QUID TIGHT ASS!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back