Painting on newly skimed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi have just had my walls skimmed. i have applied one coat of normal matt paint, then sanded down any imperfections. when i came to paint the second coat, parts where i had sanded (you could see the skim) started to bubble up. why is this, do you know. have i done something wrong.

Sponsored Links
hi, did you mistcoat first or just go straight on with a vinyl matt?

No being funny "Parm" but what is 'one coat of normal matt paint' ?

Third_Eye said:

i sorry not clear there. by one coat of matt i meant used one coat of matt emulsion as an undercoat. D.S.D not sure what you mean by miscoat.

Sponsored Links
Miscoat is just another name for thined down emulsion with some water to use basically as a primer, like you do with new wood.
Was the plaster actually fully dry? If it wasn't then Supermatt emulsion would have been the best thing to use as a mist coat as it doesn't contain any vinyl and therefore allow the wall to still breathe and fully dry out.
I guess the vinyl matt you applied has trapped the moisture still in the plaster and has caused it to bubble.

Parm said:
Third_Eye said:

i sorry not clear there. by one coat of matt i meant used one coat of matt emulsion as an undercoat. D.S.D not sure what you mean by miscoat.
What is the brand of the emulsion ? What is the full correct name of the emulsion ? What is the instructions on the tin ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back