Paint peeling problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since everyone was so helpful on my tiling question, I thought I would try another.

The house I have has been decorated by the munsters. When taking off wallpaper I frequently discover the walls are painted underneath. As I am predominantly painting the walls this is generally no problem, but sometime the paint starts to peel, or I need to remove it for some reason. When I do, the paint starts to tear off in large flexible sheets- and this leaves a paint thickness depression with very sharp edges.

How do I cover this?

Andy

Sponsored Links
hi

are you using a steamer to take the wallpaper off???

You need to get rid of the loose and fill where required, I would use easi-fill or tetrion. You will then need to line as the filler will always show up under certain light if you just paint it (different surface to the painted wall and all that) good luck

Not necessarily using either- for example in 1 room that was a childs room the previous owners had painted the walls- which looked ok, but had then used some kind of colourless paste that was glow in the dark. As I didn't want their grandsons name looming up at me for the rest of eternity I had to peel it off, and it took large sections of the paint with it (the paint sort of tore- in a similar way to removing wall paper). This has meant that where I repainted there is a patch of my paintwork that is depressed by the thickness of a coat of paint, but the distrinct edges means it is very noticable.

Sponsored Links
hi, right the question you asked concerned taking off wallpaper and the paint peeling as you did it which is why I asked about the steamer. If you are using one stop. You are leaving it on too long and softening the paint underneath. If you are not using one then try not to scrape too hard and make sure you soak the paper well . In any event my answer above still stands as a remedy As an after thought when the paint comes off in sheets does it leave a chalky deposit on your fingers if you wipe it???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back