One cold radiator!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help me with this.

I recently moved into a new house and when testing the central heating system i have found that all the radiators are fine except one upstairs that does not heat up at all.

There is one radiator down stairs that i would call a double radiator, the front heats up ok but the back takes a little longer than expected and the pipe leading away from it takes ages to warm up. I have bleed the radiator but this did not help, also i did the one upstairs but still nothing. There is hot water coming away from the radiator downstairs but it doesn't seem to be reaching the one upstairs. There are two other radiators upstairs and they are fine.

can anyone help

Sponsored Links
I am a DIY'er and, others (the professionals) might be able to offer better advice. However, in my experience, this phenomenon is because the radiators are not "balanced " correctly. Also, there could be some sort of blockage but, this is unlikely. Balancing radiators means that the outlet valve, ie, the one without the control knob, has to be adjusted to increase, or decrease, the flow of cooled water from the radiator. It seems to me that radiator balancing is not a precise science and much depends on radiator location, pump capacity, "head", and layout. You will not do any harm by removing the blanking cap of the downstairs radiator, opening the outlet valve slightly (a pair of pliers helps here) and seeing if the radiator then heats up correctly. Similarly, the upstairs radiator might be strangled back too much and might benefit from and increase in flow from the outlet, balance valve.
Some radiators, downstairs, might have too much flow and, similarly, may need a slight closing of the outlet, balance valve.

shut all the rads off in the house so only the cold 1 is on .. also make sure u bleed both panels .. some have there own bleed key to each panel open both sides of the rad fully (valves) and report back :)

good luck

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for the help,

I turned off all the radiators but still nothing.

I get a little leak from two of the radiators when i turn the values on and off but only drips.

I am confused about something, all my radiators have two valves that are exactly the same thing. Twist them for on and off where i am use to having radiators where one value controls the temperature and the other is just an off switch. There is only one radiator in the house where the valves are different.

Looking at one of the posts it says i should be able to take one of the white caps off to find a value underneath but not on mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back