Leaking Isolating Valve

BJC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During my investigations to find out why my CH wasn't working I isolated the pump by turning off the two valves either side of it. I never actually removed the pump (nuts were so tight I gave up) but unfortunately there is now a small leak from the downstream valve and it looks like it may have to be replaced. The leak is coming from the spindle which rotates the valve (the spindle is rectangular, 7mm x 3mm). Any way of sealing this short term since I am getting the entire system replaced in about 3-4 months. If not then what needs to be done to stop water going everywhere when I remove the pump and the valve. Any tips on how to untighten the pump nuts would also be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming the valves are not the screwdriver operated type - if this is the case replacement is the only option (with gate valves).

Otherwise,

Turn the pump valves off, unscrew and remove the small gland nut around the spindle.

Get some PTFE tape (thicker yellow gas type is better).

Roll the tape between your fingers to form a "string" and wrap it around the spindle packing it into the recess where the gland nut screws.

Replace gland nut and tighten - may require several attempts to build up packing.

There should be a nut at the botom of the spindle, try & tighten it up that may stop it, if that doesn't work shut the valve & take the nut off & pack it with PTFE.
As for getting the pump off, put plenty of WD40 on it & leave it for a couple of hours, if it still wont budge then cut the nut off & put a new nut on. ( yes it will go on but it takes a bit of working out if you haven't done it before ) :confused:

Thanks for the feedback chaps. When I say a spindle I really mean it's a stump of metal sticking out no more than 2-3mm from the valve. There is no gland nut. The spindle sems to be part of a cylinder recessed in the valve body, no more than about 8-9mm diameter. Water is leaking out between the valve body and this cylinder.

Sponsored Links
it is knackered m8 never ever isolate any thing with these they never work and always **** out same as gate valves they always snap . :(

remove and replace it is the only option in this case .

Gasguru said:
If you mean something like this

then change the valve.

And don't ever try to turn one off again, these valves are for display purposes only.

And the worst thing of all is seeing them fitted to all the pre-packaged cylinder setups eg Elson, Harton - real penny pinching.

It appears I need to change this valve (and the one above the pump). In mitigation I never installed them in the first place. I was hoping I could get away with a bodge to stop the leak for the 3-4 months before the new system is installed. Is this out of the question? If I need to change does the complete system need to be drained?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back