Cold bedroom...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the winter my bedroom can get a little cold. Currently I have a double radiator under the large double sash bay windows. However, I have some quite thick curtains. How much difference would any of the following make:

1) Replace old double rad with a new double rad with the waffle style heat sink thingy between the two parts of the rad? Are newer rads much more efficient?

2) Replace and move the rad to an upright style rad beside the bay (near the window) but not behind the curtains.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have the radiator hidden away behind the curtains, then you are making the window hot, and the front garden, but not the house.

Put a radiator on a wall where it is not behind a curtain and it will be able to heat the room.

Shutting your curtains at dusk is recommended for reducing heat loss, therefore if the curtains are blocking the rad, the heat will be on the wrong side of the curtains! Cheapest solution - either tuck the curtains behind the radiator when closed, or have them shortened if they are much too long. We always used to do this in winter, now we have venetian blinds, so do not have to shut the curtains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back