Pilot light going out

HFP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I know this isn't an original question but am just wanting to clarify my thoughts before I 'call a Corgi'! :)

I moved into my house a couple of months ago and it has the original boiler fitted. It is an Ideal Excel RS 50 (15+ years old). I do not know the history of it.

Today it stopped working. It was fine when I got up (c.6.30am) but had 'stopped' by 7.30am. When I say stopped I mean the pilot light had gone out. Attempts to relight it were successfull (by that I mean the pilot flame seems fine and the thermocouple glows) until about 5-10seconds after releasing the gas ignitor switch (not the piezo). Having seen this before I immediately suspected the thermocouple so replaced it with a universal effort without any dramas. Comparing the two they are absolutely identical. With the new TC fitted the same problem occurs in that the pilot light extinguishes after a few seconds.

To provide some background: It has a manual timer and so I bought an electrical, 7 day 2 channel effort to fit. Removing the frontage of the existing timer it was clear that the wiring on the back plate is well beyond my means so I left it alone and replaced the front. This was last night.

It seems a hell of a coincidence that the one event has followed the other so closely given that it has been fine everyday for the last couple of months.

Doing searches on this site it seems to me the gas valve is the next port of call? I have no intention of replacing that myself, a professional can do that but I really would like to confirm that it is what's required as I am not that flush at the moment. Obviously what needs to be done though etc...

So, can anyone suggest/confirm my thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,
Hugh

Sponsored Links
Hurrah! Apparently writing all that gave me just the moment away for my head to clear and allow me to take a closer look. Seems the plastic 'slider' that you hold down initially to allow the pilot light to take had broken inside and when released was moving the gas valve switch to the off position. A subtle click can be heard just after the button was released. Bin the plastic nastyness and move the lever manually and all is well again. :)

If this appliance has a green button gas valve it may be that you are not able to re-set the valve correctly.

The Elan is a simple enough appliance to work on from a registered installers point of view so should not be over expensive to have repaired.

I can understand your not wanting to spend money unecesseraly,

But,

as you have to remove the combustion chamber to gain access to the pilot and thermocouple you might not spot that the seals are unservicable and so allow products of combustion into your house.

Why not have a ring round and find a registered bloke, explain what the fault is, be honest with them re the unsucessfull Thermocouple change, if they are unhelpfull ring some one else, there are plenty of reasonable people out there.

Unfortunately you are a bit to far away for me to help.

The Baker

Sponsored Links
Hi, and thanks for your detailed reply. :)

It is a green buttoned unit you are right, it has now been working ok for 24hours so fingers crossed. My plan in the immediate is to get a Carbon Monoxide detector located next to it and in the near distant have it properly serviced.

I suspect the thrmocouple was the initial fault and then the broken plastic switch on the valve was as a result of my housemates enthusiasm to get it to relight!!

Thanks again The Baker,
Hugh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back