fire service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called a corgi to give my fire its annual service(cannon caress 2000) wife said he took coals off, hoovered coal bed and wire brushed burner and thermo couple. He was there about ten minutes and charged 80 quid :eek: does this sound reasonable :?: , fire seems exactly the same to me(if a little cleaner). I'm not complaining but i thought there would be more to it than that.

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with that fire but its sounds like its a traditional flame effect fire with a coal bed and brick flue.

A typical service should entail:

Checking the appliance is suitable for the location
Inspection of the flue, chimney etc
Smoke testing of the flue including the bedrooms, roofspace and chimney stack (smoke pellets used)
Checking the ventillation is sufficient
Checking the condition of the fire
Cleaning the fire bed etc
Operating the fire and checking it operates correctly eg safety devices are working
Checking and measuring the burner pressure/gas rate
Check for spilage of fumes (smokematches used)

Advising of any faults eg where regulations have changed or installation faults.

If the fire is a radiant/inset or outset living flame effect fire these must be removed from the fireplace opened in order to inspect the flue.

He should also visually check any other gas appliances within the property to ensure they are safe.

If this hasn't been done speak to corgi and insist on a visit from them. Cowboys like this take the p**s.

Personally I carry out a thorough test on everything in the property including gas leak and meter working pressure. Its suprising how many basic safety faults are found eg unable to turn the gas off at the meter. I then issue an advice note on any non-compliant faults (covering one's a**e).

Post an image of the fire to give us an idea of the type.

Even on this fire it should be pulled out of the chimney to check the catchment space and vacuum it out and check the required distances, also needs to come out to do a proper flue flow check. Also needs gas rating and a spillage check in addition to what he did. I would say 25 - 30 mins is more about the mark.

Sponsored Links
Cheers lads i'll be on the phone first thing. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back