urgent shower question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post.

I have an urgent question for any budding plumbers our there!!

I am in desperate need of buying a shower for fitting this weekend. The situation is this -

I have a combi boiler and intend to purchase a shower which enables concealed inlet pipework, a fixed chrome riser to a rose outlet. The issue I have is that there are so many shower types out there and I am getting confused. The one I have seen is a manual shower valve, which I am not sure is suitable for a combi high pressure boiler???? Do I have to be looking for a thermostatic one????

If the above is correct, then I have seen a thermostatic mixer valve shower kit with an outlet on the bottom and a flexible hose, and I have seen a manual mixer valve shower kit with outlet on the bottom and a rigid riser to a rose outlet. Do I need to have a top outlet in order to have a fixed riser, or can I use a thermostatic valve with bottom outlet??

Any help would be great so I can order the product today.

Many thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
If you can afford the extra for a thermostatic shower, it's worth having.

If you want a fixed chrome pipe (not a flexi hose) then you want the outlet to face upward, not downward. However... If you turn the mixer upside down...

If you want it for a Combi, you may want a pressure balancing shower

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A434848&ts=73781

Sponsored Links
Thanks John

I thought about turning the valve upside down. What I cannot understand is why a fixed pipe has to come from the top of the valve and a flexible has to come from the bottom......do you know why this is??

It just seems that the fixed pipe design gives manufacturers the monopoly to hike up the prices.

Thanks for the screwfix link, I just need to have it in my hand by Friday. I have seen one in bandq for 240 which is a bit steep, but it appears to be the cheapest thermo one with a fixed pipe. There are some cheaper models but they all look traditional, so my mind is made up.

What is the difference between a pressure balancing shower and a thermostatic mixer valve??

Thanks again.

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back