Noisy Loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time we flush the loo there is a long, very noisy sound, possibly from the pipes between the sink, bath and loo itself. I'm sure the people next door must be able to hear it. When the taps are run, it will sometimes stop. Help.....!

Sponsored Links
You have a sticking, worn, or dirty cistern float valve.

Please can you describe the valve, and say whether its cold supply is from the mains or a loft cistern?

Hi, thanks for quick response! I'm afraid I haven't got a clue as I don't even know which bit in the cistern is the valve!! Despite my login name, I am not a bloke and, sadly, have no knowledge of plumbing, hence my entering this site. I'll go to a local diy shop and ask for a new valve?

charlie3 said:
I'll go to a local diy shop and ask for a new valve?
No! Don't do that yet, because there are different types of valve, hence my question.

I can talk you through this...

First - lift the lid of the toilet cistern. If there's a push button in the lid then you might not be able to lift the lid straight off, so post back here if that's how it is.

If you can take the lid off then describe what you see inside the cistern, or, preferably, take a digital photo and post it on here.

Next - is there a basin near the toilet? If so, put your palm firmly under the cold tap spout and turn it on. Did you get very wet? If so then you have mains fed cold water.

Find the pipe that carries the cold water to the cistern and tell us whether it enters the cistern at the bottom or the side. (If you take a photo then ignore this question).

When you've answered all of these questions then I can tell you which valve you need to get, or whether your existing valve can be serviced to correct the problem. Going out now, so I won't be replying 'til this evening, but I'm sure someone else will take over...

Sponsored Links
Ok, no digital camera sorry, so here goes ... basic Twyfords loo, flush on left, inside black triangle plastic thing that lifts up when flushing. Behind that white tube coming up from bottom (from mains then?), blue tap on top with white arm (red tap underneath) leading right to ballcock. Yes, the sink is near the loo and yes, when I put my hand underneath the water came out very quickly (soaked!). Later ..

Not quite gone yet...

There's still some uncertainty, and I don't get the triangular black thing, but but it sounds like you have a Chem-style float valve with a high pressure seat fitted (which would be the correct seat for mains).

You need to isolate the supply to the cistern - if mains then your main house stop cock will do it - then undo the large blue plastic nut.

Inside will be a black diapragm washer. If it's old then all the black will come off over your hands, so don't wear your Sunday best while doing this. ;)

Get a new washer from your local plumbers' merchant (about 25p), and fit it the correct way around. Sometimes the plastic seat is worn and needs to be replaced, but that's slightly more involved.

If you don't have a blue plastic nut then please post back and I'll try again

Can't find washer at all - maybe it's completely worn away or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place! Just putting up with the noise for now until I find a plumber, thanks for all your help and advice anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back