Radiator cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into an old house where the heating system seems to be around 50 years old (but a new boiler). Most of the radiators are hot at the sides and top but not in the middle. I am in the process of flushing them with Fernox to clean them but I suspect i will eventually have to take off the faulty ones and power flush them through. I have no specific tools for this however. Does anyone have any tips on an easy way to do this power flushing? Tks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't need any specific tools, adjustable spanner to disconnect the valves from the rads, and a pair of pliers to ensure the valves are firmly shut off. If the rads are as old as you say though, there's a chance the valves won't properly shut off though, so you may need to drain the system down (good time to change any knackered valves).
Take the rads outside, stick a hosepipe in one end and let rip!

Thanks Philgee. When u say "valves" you mean the valves on the rad itself? Are they standard diameter, thread etc?

maybe rent a power flush and do it properly .. u need to add a acid restorer ... 3 to 4 hrs plushing then neutralize it and add a decent inhitor ..job done and will last forever. fernox restorers dont clean the system of that age .. they only really work on new installtions removing flux etc .. and the odd bit of muck .. for a complete no hassle job do it right the first time .
another thing to think about is .. when removing old rads on old pipework .. is the fact that pulling and tugging on old fittings can spin them in the joint and even pull them out of the socket causing even more trouble. so beware ..

Sponsored Links
Yep, the valves on each size of the rad. Most come to fit 15mm, but you can also get smaller ones to fit microbore pipework, which you almost certainly won't have.
Be careful when trying to undo the valves, I always use an adjustable spanner or wrench to hold the valve or fitting steady when undoing the nuts, to avoid any unwanted movement as 2face mentions.
Dunno much about "proper" power flushing, might be worth getting a pro in to do that, unless you are confident enough. I believe you have to remove the pump and connect the power flush in it's place. You obviously need to isolate the pump before removing it, and that's not always easy, as the isolating valves don't always want to isolate! Did ask for a quote once, but plumber wasn't able to give an exact figure. The flushing needs to be done until all the rads run clear, but that was a bit like asking how long is a piece of string!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back