Wooden door thresholds - decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have flat wood for internal door thresholds. These seem to be painted with white gloss, just like the door frames.

A year a go, I re painted some of them with standard gloss. These ones have gone black with dirt and wear. While the others that I did not paint are not affected.

I realise now that using normal gloss is not the right way to paint these thresholds, but other than floor paint (which I cant get in white gloss) im not sure what to do.

Someone said I should varnish normal gloss, but i didnt know you could do that. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
I have applied Dulux undercoat then Dulux gloss on thresholds and they have lasted years. Go for Oil Based Und & Gloss.

An update:

Thanks Third_eye, you are right. The paint i used before was Dulux one coat, which contains some sort of undercoat. Apparently, its quite soft.

I went and bought a tin of Dulux Gloss oil bassed and have applied it to the thresholds. I was told that the oil bassed stuff is the most durable gloss.

It is too early to say how they will wear (as having decorated them, I am trying not to walk on them!!).

One other point to note, the black marks that the dulux one coat painted threshold had actually washed off with Sugar soap. Although the buildup of the marks is still unacceptable to me, even if they do wash off. The other thresholds in my house dont suffer from marking.

I will post back in a few weeks and let everyone know how they are!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back