`white tape` for making watertight joints..........how much

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a general guide how much tape should be wrapped around the threads of joints to make them watertight. ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's the good old PTFE tape, then about 3-4 nice tight turns will do.

more like 6-7 unless it`s the thick gas ptfe :LOL:

i go round 14 times on a 1/2 rad tail and it works good . remember to go the opposite way to the threads . :)

Sponsored Links
2face said:
i go round 14 times on a 1/2 rad tail and it works good . remember to go the opposite way to the threads . :)

Your meant to follow the thread. Eg looking at it end on your would apply it clockwise. Doing it your way, it will loosen off and scrunch down as you are tightening the fitting, thus making it leak.

2face said:
:LOL: :LOL: ;)

i wrap so much round. so that it all bunches up at the end . when you tighten it

and completeley defeat the point. ......

try and put a full roll on it .. then ask the apprentise to screw it in .. :)

OK guys based on the answers so far .... between 3 wraps and a full roll. :)
I`ll go for around 6 (wraps) and see what happens.

The WHITE tape by the way is Poly Tetra Fluro Ethylene

Or - Plumbers Tape for Everything

juco said:
As a general guide how much tape should be wrapped around the threads of joints to make them watertight. ?
If you making what's commonly termed an "iron" joint, then use as much tape as is required to make a seal.

If you're making a compression joint, then by all means wrap 4 to 5 turns of PTFE on the wet joint side of the olive, but don't put any PTFE on the threads of any compression joint fitting.

At all.

Ever.

EVER.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back