Multipoint & Back Boiler vs Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm aware this post probably will elicit many opinions, but....

My Main Medway Multipoint has developed a leak in the heat exchange, and on further inspection, the engineer found a crack in the exchange casing. Needless to say, it's currently out of service, leaving us without hot water.

We also have a baxi back-boiler which i estimate is approx 30 years old, and i suspect won't last much longer.

Both appliances have been serviced annually.

My question therefore: is a combi the only real option we have?

Comments please!!

Onions.

Sponsored Links
Have a new Brittony II fitted in place of the Main Medway. Roughly off the top of my head £260 plus vat. Should outlast most combis three times over.

WHEN the back boiler dies (often through leaking) you'll probably have to replace it with a condensing boiler - depending on the property. It would be a bit daft to have a mutipoint and a heat-only boiler. Combis are better for showers etc than multipoints becasue they regulate the water better.
Or you could put a condensing non-combi boiler in now, heat a cylinder as you are now, and do away with the Multipoint.

Sponsored Links
sime10 said:
Have a new Brittony II fitted in place of the Main Medway. Roughly off the top of my head £260 plus vat. Should outlast most combis three times over.
EFFICIENCY GLOBAL WARMING REGS?

What do you mean regs? know your facts before you criticise.

Efficiency needs to be assessed in terms of capital cost and breakdown costs.

Global warming needs to be assessed in terms of increased cost to environment of continually reproducing crap boilers rather than repairing perfectly good old ones, which were made in a way that they would outlast the present range 3 times.

And another thing, I really am seethiong after that complete loony Bamber Gascoign was bigging himself up for driving an electric car in a news report where some fascist controlling council has decided to charge more for parking of vehicles with higher emissions (so I'd have to get a smaller van and spend two trips to every job instead of one) BUT this is the big one, no charge for ELECTWIC vehicles.

Anyone who has done the energy efficiency course will know what I am saying.

How can they be so stupid?

What it's really about is votes and the squirel and the grasshopper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back