lead

cool kev keep em coming better not stray too far off subject or the mod may feel the need to smack our wrists :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The Water regs are NOT retrospective, therefore lead pipe which was installed legally at the time is not a contravention and therefore repairs to an existing lead pipe, using fittings/solder that are regulatory compliant do not breach the regulations. The only breach of regs would be using lead solder or replacing a piece of lead with another (which is highly unlikely unless somebody re-uses some salvaged stuff)

There is no regulation or legislation that insists that lead pipes be replaced, only guidelines that recommend the replacement of lead supply pipes if the opportunity arises. Water Companies have a duty to replace their pipework (from main in road to property boundary) if the lead level in a sample taken from the first tap fed direct from incoming supply exceeds the current PCV (prescribed concentration value) of 25ug/l. Same goes for landlords renting out property having to replace private pipework.

Yup, didn't look at that 'til after I'd posted. Was trawling web for info on Lead replacement grant schemes and this thread came up. Just thought I'd chuck my 2p's worth...

Dave

Sponsored Links
I have wiped lead late night when I didn't have the right sized lead lock and the customer's needs seemed more important than water regs.

Yeah I have had to solder lead to copper cos the leadlocs are crap nobody knows what size lead you have got so get the job done advize to renew the main from main stop stap (outside) and keep the water on

How many lead mains are in this country?

Mains-None. There are still plenty of lead supply pipes and what is locally known as lead "majors" (2" feeds supplying numerous houses), different to a common supply in that the "major" is usually in the public highway or rear alley, as opposed to within the house/property boundaries.

Interesting fact I found out the other day. Certain PVC pipe contains lead, including stuff used by water boards from 1970 onwards...

Lotsofleaks said:
So, the question is, how the hell can I find a plumber who can do this? I am spending much of the time with the water turned off at the mains!

I have my molecloth,plumbers black and stick solder at the ready but why not just buy a leadlock ?

sheesh the last time i wiped a joint maggie was still in charge (ahhhh mags how i miss you)

as VOTM says lead lock it

corgiman said:
sheesh the last time i wiped a joint maggie was still in charge (ahhhh mags how i miss you)

as VOTM says lead lock it

You must have bossed lead slates as well then ???????
Those were the days :cool:

old_31.gif

Ahh they were

when plumbers didnt become plumbers until they had served 80 yrs making the tea and could grow a beard you could trap b52's in

And yes indeed i did boss slates

Thank **** we dont have to do that shyte anymore

YAY for push fit

:)

My old man was a gas fitter and when i was getting ready to start my course at collage 17 years ago he had me in the shed wiping lead joints in the vice horizontal vertical was interesting at time.Never done it iN collage never done it in my working life since.

my course at collage
Either you spelled it wrong, or maybe your course was NVQ plumbing?

Hang on a minute - having checked the definiton, it looks MORE USEFUL than NVQ plumbing:

collage: 
–noun 1. a technique of composing a work of art by pasting on a single surface various materials not normally associated with one another
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back