Break light switch - Peugeot 306

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The break light switch went on my pug 306 which ment I had no break lights at all, at the time (that I noticed at least) I was near my local garage who have serviced and motd the car before.

They replaced the break light switch, put the car back together again and gave it back to me, only for me to find that the indicators didn’t work, so back I go and they sort that out cos they havent re connected something.

This new switch means that when I break gently, like when goin in slow moving traffic no lights come on till I break harder (like push the peddle for like an inch before I get any lights. Is this normal? The garage are telling me you should have this, but I can come to a compete stop (goin slow) with no lights till I practically stop… is this normal and is it just me not breakin hard enough or is it a problem with the switch?

thanks for any help
Dan

Sponsored Links
sounds like they have not adjusted it correctly,any effort on the braking pedal should really bring the lights on

Thats what i thought, i took it back and told them that i don't think its right, but he was sayin that there is ment to be some movement in the pedal before the lights come on... but i always thought that if your breaks are on surely your break lights should be on no matter how hard you break?

They say its fine but im not convinced (but i have no idea about this sorta thing) and i Think that the old one worked as soon as i put my foot on the break but i dunno.

if they dont wanna know, take it elsewhere. plenty of garages about.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to put the brake lamps on without actually causing the brakes to come on.This is an important safety item.I am not familiar with how the brake switch is mounted on a peugeot,but mostly they are just a plastic plunger switch mounted under the dash,near the top end of the brake pedal arm.You need to find it and adjust it backwards so the gentlest touch lights up the lamps.It probably has just a lock nut on it,you may need to disconnect the wires if you need to rotate it.

Hey thanks for reply.

Is this a simple ish task for a guy who knows nothing about cars can do? Would be grateful of any help as to exactly what to do.

Really dont want to take it to a garage for something that i could do myself and i int goin back to the garage that fitted it cos they just dont wanna know and say its normal.

Thanks very much
Dan

Simple job.
Look on the brake pedal for the switch. When you push the pedal down you will see a plastic plunger come out of the switch, this needs adjusting.
Should be a case of just screwing in the plunger, or maybe the switch itself is adjustable.
All will become apparent when you look at it!

lol i hope your right :)

I have herd that Peugeot 306s brake light switch is behind the steering column which has to be taken out to get to it, i can tell that the garage has done this to fit it. but im wondering if i can get to it without taking the car to bits. im not a mechanic so really dont want to do it if thats the case.

So in theory all i need to do is find this switch (little black box with a plunger stickin out), and screw or unscrew this pluger (by hand?) and the lights will then come on when i push the pedal lighty aswell as when i brake hard?

Stupid question but do i need my foot right hard on the brake pedal to adjust it? or adjust it without and then test it?

Thanks for help... will look in the morning

Dan

Had a look today, i can see the switch (looks the same as the sensor thingy on the door for the alarm when u leave ur lights on?)

But i cant find anyway of adjusting it, my next door neighbor had a look and he cant see any way of adjusting it and thinks that its been installed slightly too far forward (or back cant rem what he said now).

would post a pic of the switch so you lot can see what it is but the battery's on my camera are charging.... will try later if its gonna help.

Thanks
Dan

Ok I have elected to perform the same job myself as I have the same problem. The part your looking for is kinda a white nipple with a black screw in plastic surrounding. when laying on the seat upsidedown looking up at the break peddle its on the upper left. This is process which happens when you press the break peddle, the connection between the switch and a angled metal part of the break peddle is disconnected allowing the microswitch to decompress activating the circuit. Release the break and the switch is compressed again closing the circuit. Therefore I can't understand why pushing the peddle harder would benifit in anyway? unless they have damaged the replacment switch maybe or not alligned it correctly.

;)

Your garage are talking cobblers about having lots of travel before the lights operate! Even the Haynes says 2-3mm free play with about 5mm travel to function. would be a pig of a job to do, on mine it's up high behind the fuse box on a bracket supporting the column. a little 'L' thing at the top of the pedal, releases a plunger to operate the lights on.

Sponsored Links
Back