Large Bubble found in ceiling - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just noticed a Large bubble found in the ceiling, at first I thought somebody may have put there foot through it, but upon closer inspection and by pushing with my finger it looks like the redish plaster is coming away from the plaster board.

My questions are

Should I remove all of the painted ceiling plaster that has come away? I think so but I am unsure?

Second, What should I use to fill the thin plaster with ?

Will something like polyfiller multipurpose do the job ?

Cheers for all advice in advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
Is the 'Plaster Board' bare ? i.e. no paint coatings on it ?

yes, underneath the painter ceiling layer, yes the plaster board is bear as I can see where the nails hold up the plasterboard to the ceiling

Hope this answers your question

coops1975 said:
yes, underneath the painter ceiling layer, yes the plaster board is bear as I can see where the nails hold up the plasterboard to the ceiling

What do you mean by, "Yes, underneath the painter ceiling layer" ?

Sponsored Links
Have you had a water leak above the ceiling?

No water leak and or staining.

Just moved it, it looks like it been there since the house was built 8 years.

Just got a bubble that has come away

Please any advice

Chris

Third_Eye said:
coops1975 said:

What do you mean by, "Yes, underneath the painter ceiling layer" ?

Sorry Third Eye

The plaster board is underneath and the plaster has been applied over this and then painted on top of the plaster.

There is no paint between the plaster board and the plaster layer.

The painted layer is what you would see when you look up at the ceiling.

I hope this help, many thanks for coming back

Chris

Many will disagree and some agree, however, i personaly believe that gyproc should be sealed prior to Plastering. However, the Plaster that has blistered can be caused by many reasons which i will not get into. Best thing to do is scrape off blistering plaster then dust off with a dry brush, then apply a coat of PVA @ PVA 1/5 Water mix on the blistered area gyproc and leave to dry, then apply another coat and leave to dry, then apply a mix of Gyproc Jiont filler and apply with an hawk n trowel and use a straight adge to keep the filler at the same depth of the surrounding plaster and leave to dry, then apply another coat and apply with an hawk n trowle and use a straight adge to keep the filler at the same depth of the surrounding plaster and leave to dry, then rub down in order to blend in with surrounding plaster. Then paint using correct emulsion and follow instructions..................However, hopefully the rest of the plater does not start to lose adhesion !

Third_Eye

Many thanks for your help. Had to look up the word Gyproc but I found the filler.

Cheers

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back