dado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would you paint a wooden dado with. I want it to blend with the rest of the walls as I do not want a colour change and poss skirtings the same. I would have thought eggshell, but can you use emulsion for the dado only?

Sponsored Links
Has the dado rail been previously coated ? If so, what with ?

Apply Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell, then apply your Dulux Trade emulsion over that. That is if you are adament that the same finish that is on walls must be on your dado rail.

Sponsored Links
Or you could use flat oil finish

Actually I am not bothered but it was the decorator who suggetsed the emulsion. I just thought a dado was supposed to be tough like a skirting or am I missing something here. What would F&B eggshell look next to estate emulsion would it look like a different paint? I just want the dado to blend in with the wall.

Krhos123 said:
Actually I am not bothered but it was the decorator who suggetsed the emulsion. I just thought a dado was supposed to be tough like a skirting or am I missing something here. What would F&B eggshell look next to estate emulsion would it look like a different paint? I just want the dado to blend in with the wall.
Not much point in having a dado camouflaged to the wall...unless it's to stop your chair backs from scraping the walls, like in a doctors or dentists waiting room.
Old hat now dado's.

Well it is already there and walls were lined above and below. So it is a bit late to take it off without redoing all the walls or could it be filled successfully then painted?? That would be preferred option.

I just think a colour change is good to add interest to a a large hallway and breaks things up a bit with large ceilings. This is a lounge and the ceilng is not so high in that room and the room looks better in one colour.

A dado rail is to protect the wall. But is also a styling thing, so mine are painted with the same paint & colour as the skirting. ps if I had a pelmet that would also match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back