repainting over oil based

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I NEED SOME GUIDANCE. MY KITCHEN CABINETS WERE PAINTED WITH GLOSSY OIL BASED PAINT 14 YRS. AGO. IT IS NOW IN NEED OF A REPAINT. WHAT KIND OF PRIMER DO I NEED TO USE BEFORE PAINTING WITH A LATEX BASED FLAT/SEMI GLOSS FINISH. THANKS SHARON :?:

Sponsored Links
Not easy Shaz...im not that familiar with the paint products in the U.S but im sure youl have Zinseer 123 bulleye over there...they do a massive range of paints for problem surfaces.

Check out your local Lowes or Home store..

And order me a nice big sub in publix while your at it...im coming out in October and cant wait to plunder the DIY shops you have out there.

NOT ONE PERSON AT HOME DEEPOT KNEW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. WHY DO YOU THINK I'M ASKING YOU GUYS....HELP

This is a UK site so we aren't familiar with the paints and merchants in your country.

BTW, please turn off your
CAPLOCK.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you wait until next October Sharon?...i'll bring the stuff and do it myself!

You should give them a good rub down/abrade with wet or dry paper first..fine grade (400 or thereabouts)

Then get yourself a can of Zinseer B.I.N primer/sealer for the first coat.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

Apply it with a foam radiator roller to eliminate the brush marks and give you a uniform even finish..

Allow to dry and apply another coat, before you put the finish coat on ...give the surface a rub over with the fine wet or dry paper to remove any airborne surface nibs.

(i would go for a semi gloss, or 'sem-i as you say.. ;) finish

ZAMPA......THANKS FOR YOUR OFFER BUT I'LL GO CRAZY BY THEN...I WILL TRY TO ORDER THE PRODUCT ONLINE THAT YOU SUGGESTED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFO AND TIME...SHARON

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back