selecting and painting new door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I need a new front door as the old one is rotting away. I favour wood for the appearance and for reasonable security.

As the door will have to be painted or varnished, what wood will take the paint best in regard to integrity and longevity of finish? Hardwood or softwood? What about protecting the wood from rot first? I suppose I should now wait until Spring to do the job?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They will both take paint well if you use the correct primer first.

If your going for hardwood then a varnish would do it justice..pointless painting it really...you may as well buy a cheaper softwood door and paint that.

One thing is very important though...make sure you paint underneath the door and above it thats where a lot of moisture can get in and do damage.

You dont have to gloss the bottom edge of the door ..just make sure you give it a decent couple of coats though...starting with the correct primer.

Hi Zampa,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I was so long coming back but I'm having computer trouble.

I see what you mean about painting a hardwood door - no-one would know it was hardwood, would they? So if I go for hardwood should I coat it with Cuprinol or something for protection first? And after that, what's the best protective varnish to use?

Best

bludger said:
Hi Zampa,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I was so long coming back but I'm having computer trouble.

I see what you mean about painting a hardwood door - no-one would know it was hardwood, would they? So if I go for hardwood should I coat it with Cuprinol or something for protection first? And after that, what's the best protective varnish to use?

Best

You shouldnt need to use any protective coatings like that other than Ordinary varnish

Go for an exterior type, yacht varnish is ok...but as long as it says exterior on the can youl be ok...thin the first coat but about 25-30%...coat the door, allow to dry and rub down with abrasive paper in the direction of the grain.

Then repeat, thinning the second coat by 10% ...the third can be a full coat.

Dont do it late in the afternoon if the weathers cold/misty the varnish could bloom, leaving nasty white patches all over your door...especially at the bottom, it will riun it

Sponsored Links
Hello Zampa,

I'll now go looking for a door. Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back