Gassing off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently (well - May) had a new boiler fitted - a sealed system. Since it's got cold and the heating's started coming on, I can hear what sounds like a trickling noise coming from the airing cupboard, where the hot water tank is. Occasionally, I also get noices that sounds like air bubbling up through liquid.

Other than that, all is well - heating and hot water work, pressure is constant in the system.

The installers have been round for a look and a listen, and say that its "gassing off" - because the system is new, all the dissolved oxygen that's in the water is slowly being burned off, and released as air, and will ultimately find its way into a radiator, or out one of the air vents. This is likely to take a good few months, but once it's done, the noises should stop.

I know nothing about heating - does this sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Adam

Sponsored Links
fresh water will take time to release its oxygen, so give it a couple of weeks and periodically bleed the radiators and thumb vents as they will collect released air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back