Testing New Stack Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The council have to come out to see a test on my new stack pipe I have installed on my extension. What does this involve? Do I just cap off the inlet in the manhole and fill the stack pipe with water and cross my fingers while the council man looks on???

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
if I cap the top of the stack how are they gona see the level of the water if it falls? I currently have nothing attached to the pipe and I thought that was how it had to stay till council passed it off?

Never been present when council have tested but the checks required are a soundess & a performance test. Pipework should be temporarily plugged & air pumped in to a predetermined pressure. It is left to stand for a short period & any loss of pressure noted & if it drops a leak is present & should be repaired.
This is a soundness test. The performance test requires an adequate water seal be retained in all traps, when all appliances are discharged. The minimum depth is 25mm.The appliances should be discharged 3 times & if any fail to retain the required depth of seal the installation is deemed to be unsatisfactory.

Knowing the council they will just take a dump on your crapper,( did you know that he invented the toilet)? flush it & if it disappears tell you it`s sound & waltz off.

Sponsored Links
They can ask for a air test but what they usually get unless its a fresh inspector is ,

Bag/plug top of stack
Bag plug base of stack
Flush toilet ,level rises and they watch it for a while ,talk over a few bits etc then check the level again ,meet one who put a piece of paper floating in the bowl to check for current in the water.

But with nothing attached it will have to be air test and plugs on everything

pampers said:
meet one who put a piece of paper floating in the bowl to check for current in the water.

It's a proved way of checking for leaks although I tend to use a match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back