Gas pipes query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have two pipes purtruding from my kitchen floor. They are about an inch wide and capped. One soldered, the other looks capped with a screwcap. I think one of them originally had a 90 degree bend off to a cooker connection but the pipe was cut and also to the fireplace but that was cut also. The pipes are visible but no longer connected. There is no gas leak so things have been sealed well.

Two questions, Why would I have two large capped off pipes? And is there anyway of checking to see if gas is there without undoing the soldering which i wouldn't want to do. If i do need a corgi member to check out and advise what would be the cost? Obviously this properties gas was capped a long time ago and there is not a meter outside, just a pipe(s) burried a metre down. Can some one advise me?

Cheers,
Andy

p.s. i have a photo of these pipes and i'm happy to email it if this helps you help me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
Two questions, Why would I have two large capped off pipes?
Cheers,
Andy

Do you want them removed, is that what you are asking in a rather long winded way?

No, I'd like to see if i can use them so I can have a boiler fitted. I don't use gas at the moment but would like to.

Is there a meter inside at all, if not how do you know that there is either gas or a leak?

Sponsored Links
If there`s no meter you`d have to contact transco or whatever they`re calling themselves this week. With no meter or, from your description, any means to manually isolate the incoming supply, it would be very difficult to cap the pipe after it was cut to check for flow. I would imagine it`s been turned off further back from your house anyway.

There is no meter at all. Just two pipes settings under my kitchen cupboard just above the floorboards. I want to find out if gas is their. I can't smell any gas but that is because they are capped off. Is there an easy test i can do or will someone from corgi have to check this out? I'm a bit concerned about cost. Most suppliers such as wales and west utilities charge 400plus for a gas connection so I was hoping gas was coming in but just capped off.

adwt2004 said:
No, I'd like to see if i can use them so I can have a boiler fitted. I don't use gas at the moment but would like to.

You can use them if they are gas pipes, do you have gas to your property now? More information required. just read your last post, you have no gas supply whatsoever & no meter, you have no appliances that run on gas & you are asking wether a couple of pipes in your home contain gas am I correct? If there was ever gas supplied to your home then it would have traditionally been supplied through a main gas supply through a gas regulator, then a meter then to your appliances, if you do not have a meter chances are you don`t have any open gas pipes in your home.

Bamber gaspipe said:
adwt2004 said:

You can use them if they are gas pipes, do you have gas to your property now? More information required.

You can use them??? Pipe sizing first thing that comes to mind?

[/quote]You can use them if they are gas pipes, do you have gas to your property now? More information required.[/quote]

I'm not sure, the two pipes are capped off so i don't know how to check. From looking at the old pipe runs a few months back there was a 90 degree bend off this pipe going to a gas connector by the old cooker which is why i am assuming they are gas pipes. This bend was cut off, left there and a cap now covers the pipe end.

I found all this after moving in so it can be difficult sussing out what other people have done.

You have got to get a meter, you think gas in those them there pipes will be free?

No i'm not looking for free gas! I'm honest. Would it be best to get a corgi guy in to advise or speak to transco etc?

Would advice from a corgi gas installer cost a lot?

The first thing you have got to do is have your supply reinstated by the utilities company if you have no meter you need one.

Then its time to get an installer in to have a look

sime10 said:
You have got to get a meter, you think gas in those them there pipes will be free?

There is no gas in those them there pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back